Talk

Advanced search

Itchy legs after shaving driving me crazy!

(12 Posts)
Jemster Sat 27-Apr-13 08:21:48

I've never really got on with shaving, prefer waxing but just can't afford the maintenance, plus I hate having to grow leg hair to yeti length before getting it waxed.

So I've started shaving legs but a couple of days afterwards my legs itch like crazy, to the point I have scratched them badly. So now I have hair free legs but covered in scratches! What causes this awful itching? Does everyone get this and how can I stop it?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 27-Apr-13 08:26:11

do you put moisturiser on after shaving? One of my shins gets itchy but is normally ok if I put some body lotion on

DorisShutt Sat 27-Apr-13 08:29:24

Epilate instead? Bit sore to start with but you get used to it quite quickly.

PattieOfurniture Sat 27-Apr-13 08:30:07

Moisturise thoroughly everyday, even the days that you don't shave. Try using e45 on your legs, that will sort it out.

Whitecat Sat 27-Apr-13 09:32:02

Oil your legs as soon as you get out the shower/bath. I use the multi talented Argan oil but baby, olive or coconut are just as good.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 27-Apr-13 09:35:01

Shave them with conditioner instead of showergel or foam. I think you need a decent razor to.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sat 27-Apr-13 09:41:01

I've had this since teenage years (less frequent now), summer worse than winter. I have to use a good quality razor, king of shaves gel - expensive but lasts quite well- main thing is I can't shave in a hurry, I have to let legs soak in bath for a bit before shaving. Shaving in the shower is a no go for me.
Antihistamine help if you feel an attack coming on.

Jemster Sat 27-Apr-13 09:49:09

Thanks everyone. What razor should I look for that's good quality? Also where can I buy argan oil? Is it the dryness of my skin that causes the itch or the hairs growing back sharper?

LetMeAtTheWine Sat 27-Apr-13 11:10:42

I have this problem no matter what method of hair removal I use hmm. My legs bleed from scratching so much. Have tried all sorts, to no avail. My legs are either hairy or covered in scratches - disgusting and embarrassing either way.
I bought the Phillips Lumea to try but then fell pregnant and you can't use it whilst pregnant or breast feeding. Hopefully it will be the answer to my prayers when I can finally use it! smile

fedupofnamechanging Sat 27-Apr-13 13:37:27

I used to get this - it's been much better since I started epilating instead.

I also periodically put some dettol in my bath to help clean the scratches. Someone told me once that the itching was caused by bacteria - not sure if that's true or not, but I definitely feel better putting a bit of dettol in the bath just in case.

middleagedspread Sat 27-Apr-13 13:49:21

I posted the same problem, but after waxing, a couple of days ago. I was recommended anything with Aloe which helped a bit. I used 1% hydrocortisone & took a Piriton, which resolved it.

hatgirl Sat 27-Apr-13 14:03:50

I found exfoliating throughly before shaving really helped, it meant all the small bumpy bits of skin were scrubbed away before I came along and -hacked them off-- caught them with a razor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now