Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of this dress?

(23 Posts)
ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 20:10:36

My step-parent adoption court date has finally come through grin and so I need a dress to wear to court. I want something smart and elegant and came across this:
http://www.next.co.uk/g382058s2

It's pretty much top of my budget so want it to be perfect. Looks great on the model but they always do. I'm tall, size 14, pale with dark hair / eyes.

Do you think it will suit?

ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 20:11:11

Forgot to say, can someone convert to a clicky link please, can't do it on the phone sad

itstheyearzero Fri 26-Apr-13 20:12:21

www.next.co.uk/g382058s2

MikeLitoris Fri 26-Apr-13 20:12:33

clicky

itstheyearzero Fri 26-Apr-13 20:13:04

Lovely!

MrsLettuce Fri 26-Apr-13 20:14:04

This? It's nice enough but more 'event' than court, I'd say.

Will have a rummage.

MikeLitoris Fri 26-Apr-13 20:14:11

It is beautiful.

Have you tried it on?

BunnyLebowski Fri 26-Apr-13 20:14:44

Nice enough but way way way way WAY WAAAAAY too dressy and tight and frilly and ivory for a court date.

ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 20:20:47

No not tried it on, was going to see if my local store had it in.

Too much for court you think.

It's all new to me this.

From what I gather we go to court, sign papers, have photos with the judge and then we are all going for a nice meal to celebrate.

PenelopePortrait Fri 26-Apr-13 20:23:47

I think it's perfect. It is an event smile

TheRealFellatio Fri 26-Apr-13 20:25:34

It's lovely but you need simple, smart, plain, low-key business dress, not the sort of thing you could wear to a wedding. The judge will think you are bit flighty and bonkers if you turn up in that.

TheRealFellatio Fri 26-Apr-13 20:26:39

Photos with the judge? confused Ok, I'll admit I don't really understand this as an event, but I still think it is a bit dressy. Lovely though.

ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 20:26:57

Anyone got any suggestions then?

Budget £50-£70, ideally a dress.
It's in June so likely to be a warm day.

Roseformeplease Fri 26-Apr-13 20:27:16

Looks like a wedding dress for a quickie marriage. Sorry. Maybe in another colour.

MrsLettuce Fri 26-Apr-13 20:34:02

Mmm, well, in that case it could be OK with the right, reasonably formal jacket over. It'll date quickly though with the dipped hem.

Sounds like jewel colours would suit you.

this?
this?
this?
this?

this is very simple but could be stunning, looks like a great cut
this could be fab. crepe always looks very expensive

MrsLettuce Fri 26-Apr-13 20:35:10

I'm no expert but I'd guess say that bare arms would be a no no in court whatever the temperature.

ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 20:50:23

Thanks, love that green one in the second link, bargain as well!

I do tend to like green but wasn't sure if colour was a good idea.

You might be right about bare arms, never been to court in my life, was just thinking of the heat.

I'm a solicitor and am in the county courts frequently. I've also workshadowed DJs during all types of hearings mainly family. I think that the dress is fine. The DJ won't think that you are not respectful of the court if you are not in a black suit or office wear. It's the final adoption hearing, done in front of the child (ren) and will be an event to celebrate. Sometimes the DJ does a little homily about it being a momentous occasion. Hope you and your family have a fab day OP smile

ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 21:07:12

Thank you, great to have the opinion of someone regularly in court. Been waiting for this day for 12 months and yet am so nervous!

The DJs I sat with, the ones I know personally and the ones I appear before are absolutely lovely. You'll be fine smile

babybarrister Fri 26-Apr-13 21:25:57

I agree it is lovely and not inappropriate. I would take something to cover arms in case you feel anxioussmile

ProtegeMoi Fri 26-Apr-13 21:31:49

Ok so I'm torn between the first one with a jacket ( what colour would go with it? ) and the green one suggested, which is cheaper.

Will have to try them on and see how they look.

Awks Fri 26-Apr-13 21:39:32

I think if your arms are covered then it would be lovely. What about a cardi - that looks very mum like (but not mumsy) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now