Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I have no summer clothes that fit and a small budget. What should I get?

(6 Posts)
Jemster Fri 26-Apr-13 18:56:29

Since having my second baby a year ago I am still not quite back to my old size 12. I'm close but things are a bit tight so I really have very little in my wardrobe I can wear comfortably.

I work part time and the ladies I work with look lovely in their wide range of spring summery clothes, while I've been turning up in my black trousers and cardi still!
I have very little spare money to spend on clothes but it is my birthday in May so I'm going to ask for vouchers from family.
I would really welcome suggestions of the best things to buy and which shop I should ask for vouchers for. I literally have nothing summery to wear so I guess it would be good to have just a few items that go together.
Work is smart casual. I also need some things to wear when I'm at home being mum. I've lost my way a bit with looking after myself in the past year so grateful for any tips.
Thanks in advance.

thebestpossibletaste Fri 26-Apr-13 19:01:29

Have you looked at Dorothy Perkins and H&M? They are reasonable.

Otherwise watching with interest as I don't have many summer work clothes either. I just bought a navy skirt from Fat Face but it's still too cold!

Exhaustipated Fri 26-Apr-13 19:10:51

Do you like dresses? I always find them a really good value thing to buy because it's a whole outfit! Can get very nice ones in fairly cheap shops, can be very summery and easily dressed up or down.
Topshop, New Look, H&M and even (dare I say it) Primark are all worth a look.

I live in dresses usually. Literally. I have pretty much no tops and an struggling now as am breastfeeding...

Anyway, good luck smile

homeaway Fri 26-Apr-13 19:18:32

I second dresses, you can just throw on a cardigan and you have an outfut. You could buy linen trousers in neutral colours and get some tops that go with them. If you can afford it I would buy a couple of dresses, two pairs of linen trousers and one or two skirts. Choose tops that go with both the trousers and the skirts. My dd found some nice linen trousers in primark so they did not break the bank. Zara have some nice things at the moment.

Sleepyfergus Fri 26-Apr-13 19:19:54

I know what you mean, just had DD2 and need new work outfit(s) that are not black!

I bought a pair of cotton stretch navy slim fit trousers from M&S which I'm pairing with white or coloured tops. I think navy is easier to transition into spring/summer. They were £25 and fab. Also can team them up with coloured ballet pumps etc.

I like dresses, but that would require I keep up with defuzzing, plus they are whiter than milk at the mo, so I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Gonna watch this thread with interest too!

ellesabe Fri 26-Apr-13 19:50:01

I was also going to say dresses as they're a whole outfit.

Also, how about asking for Debenhams vouchers, as they often incorporate a lot of the high street franchises so you'd have lots of choice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: