Talk

Advanced search

What to wear when you just don't suit lovely hot weather?

(18 Posts)
stopbeingsilly Thu 25-Apr-13 23:43:38

Minor moan: my body has completely let me down when it comes to summertime. I have a good waist, big boobs and am a 12-14, and feel like I suit cold weather.

But I have awful cellulitey legs, similar horrible upper arms and very blotchy, uneven skin all over. This means no bare legs without a knee-length skirt and no bare arms under any circumstances. I need smart-casual during the week and relaxed youngish clothes (I'm 28) for weekends. I'm currently wearing lots of footless black opaques and lightweight cardigans with dresses, but surely I'll die when it gets really hot?

My friends either seem to have nice legs or arms or lovely even skintone - since I tick none of those boxes, what should I be wearing?

Hopefully Fri 26-Apr-13 06:21:06

You are probably approx 1,000,000 times more aware of your flaws than anyone else - most people are far too self absorbed to notice someone else's flaws.

If you're still worried:
- Sally Hansen spray on legs stuff is great for evening out skintone so you can do knee length skirts with sandals. Very light fake tan all over also has the same effect
- wide leg linen/cotton/lightweight trousers
- obtain a pair of cheapie scrubby gloves and go over arms and legs every single time you shower - it takes me 30 seconds to do my whole body as I do it daily so v quick - and whack some cheap body lotion on afterwards
- the blotchy skin will go after a little while in the sun, but you need to get it out there.
- lightweight cardigans over a lightweight summer dress (TBH it's rarely warm enough to remove more than that), but aim for a dress with some upper arm coverage so you can take off cardi if necessary.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 26-Apr-13 06:33:32

I'm watching this with interest- exactly the same OP but I loathe my upper arms they are awful and I can never find nice summery tops or dresses with little sleeves

Furball Fri 26-Apr-13 06:38:46

Maxi skirts?

Linnen Trousers?

Maxi Dresses?

Bright tee shirts with a light material 3/4 length sleeve shrug in a contrasting colour?

Numberlock Fri 26-Apr-13 06:38:47

At least you're living in the right country. I think you can safely assume it's not going to get really hot. (sorry no help whatsoever)

ZaraW Fri 26-Apr-13 10:19:05

I have red hair and have to cover up in the heat as I just go lobster pink one of the downsides of having this hair colour. I have a few Viole white cotton blouses which I team with nude skinny Jeans and also wear maxi dresses with a linen cardigan.

SeventiesBush Fri 26-Apr-13 12:17:55

Sorry about all the Boden links, but they're just examples of styles that might work!

Shirt dress

Skater dress

Some sort of loose top?

Or a smocky one?

I have a couple of really fine cotton smock tops that I got from H&M girls and I live in them in the summer. Wear them with cotton capris or a knee length skirt.

I think the key is to try and find shirts or tops in thin, loose cotton, so you'll still feel cool and relaxed even if you have sleeves. I see people in black leggings in the summer and they look so uncomfortable.

Switchedtoeatingbutter Fri 26-Apr-13 12:20:48

Move to Scotland. I can guarantee you will have to keep your cardigan and tights on.

superfluouscurves Fri 26-Apr-13 12:28:07

Watching with interest ... sympathies StopbeingSilly have exactly the same ishews... except I don't have a good waist ... and I'm a lot older

SvetlanaKirilenko Fri 26-Apr-13 12:32:54

I do not suit summer clothes either OP, I share your pain. I have v pale skin that turns to eczema or sunburn with the slightest ray of sunlight, muscly short little legs (grin) and a long body, and horrible arms with wide shoulders which means dresses look awful confused

I stick to loose linen trousers, combat style trousers, t-shirts, flimsy cardis, loose shirts, and summer scarves.

I wear lovely bright sandals or flip-flops for a splash of colour!

Sonotkylie Fri 26-Apr-13 13:32:52

I HATE my knees. They look like they've melted. Much worse as I've got older. I wear cropped leggings to just under knees (artfully arranged to finish at narrowest part of leg) with pretty skirt (ideally flippy gathered numbers) over the top and simple 3/4 sleeve T shirt type top, usually matching leggings. Always get lots of compliments for this one.
Hush also do a cropped harem pant which stops below knee and looks good, stops in the right place and a bit of drape to hide what you want to disguise.
Then hit the Holiday Skin or similar moisturiser with fake tan and your legs are sorted, mainly covered and tanned.
Cotton shirts with top buttons undone over straight leg trousers always look classic and therefore cool. Lots of lovely patterned shirts around at the moment eg Boden, Gap. I have big bust too and can honestly say I hardly ever have a gaping problem. If the buttons are undone to top of cleavage that helps.
Good luck! I don't do summer well either - similar shape, but luckily I really feel the cold so rarely have to worry about being too hot!

DewDr0p Fri 26-Apr-13 17:25:17

What about a tea dress that covers the upper part of your arms and is knee length?

I'm not a massive fan of my own legs either though tbh. Maxi skirt/dress? Perhaps you might be able to get lightweight slim trousers - ankle skimmers big this summer for just a cheeky hint of ankle.

I'm sure you are being harsh on yourself though OP sad I do find a bit of Johnsons Holiday Skin or similar makes my legs look a bit better.

tak1ngchances Fri 26-Apr-13 17:28:51

I am super pale, like translucent, and skinny. In the winter I trot around very happily in layers and chunky scarves and knee high boots which add a bit of bulk to my figure and cover the pallor.

I summer I look like a pathetic little bird with awful hair. I am soooooo not a summer person. No advice really, just to say I feel your pain BiG TIME

Fast Fri 26-Apr-13 17:44:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fast Fri 26-Apr-13 17:50:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MadBusLady Fri 26-Apr-13 17:54:57

For cellulite/general bumps and chicken skin, I've got one of those vicious looped straw brushes that looks like it could groom a shire horse and I sweep it thoroughly over my thighs, bottom and arms every morning before I get in the shower, and then moisturise with something basic and fragrance free. Honestly, it works. I just didn't have the discipline to do it every day before. No good on sensitive skin or ecezma though obviously!

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 26-Apr-13 18:49:40

Sheer shirts over vests to cover arms up.

stopbeingsilly Fri 26-Apr-13 19:46:19

You guys! Such lovely camaraderie and great suggestions, I'm so grateful. SeventiesBush I really love the grey skater dress, and Fast my absolute favourite top right now (getting washed twice a week) is a similar style one from fat face - navy with bird print. It's a great shape and really lightweight.

Also madbuslady you're totally right about the scrubbing/moisturising routine - I know it'll help so I just need to take an extra 90 seconds before and after showering to do it. Resolution made.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now