Talk

Advanced search

Is sun-in hair colouring really that bad?

(14 Posts)
mum1979100 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:24:24

I used to use it as a student. And I swear my hair looked fine. Does in old pictures too.
I moved on to expensive highlighting when I started working. But now I have 2 little ones I don't have time for highlights any more. But I miss my blonder hair.
Has anyone used sun-in recently? Can you even buy it now?

Sexyfothermucker Wed 24-Apr-13 22:28:39

It's still available but I'd stear clear if I were you. I used it a few years back and all my hair snapped off confused

squoosh Wed 24-Apr-13 22:30:30

If you're determined to dye your hair blonde at home there are many, many products that are far superior to Sun-In i.e every other product.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Wed 24-Apr-13 22:48:37

It's awful.

Also, if you use it you wont be able to get highlights done for a long time if you want them again, it basically turns your hair to bubblegum if you use peroxide based dye on it.

<learnt the hard way>

mum1979100 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:51:31

Thanks. I did wonder if I could use highlights after. I loved the simplicity of sun-in. The way you don't have to wash it out. Other home colours look quite complicated. But sounds like I better stay away from it.

BackforGood Wed 24-Apr-13 22:54:29

<whispers>
I used it over a couple of years without any problems. Don't know if it was because I only used that (and shampoo and conditioner) and wasn't constantly striaghtening hair or adding other colours or products ? Agree with you, fabulously simple to use, and doesn't involve dying the towels, the floor, the sink, your clothes, your neck, etc.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Wed 24-Apr-13 22:56:33

There's a new one that requires no mixing at all, it comes in a spray mousse can and Boots sell it, you can also use it more than once as you only need to use as much as you actually need.

This is it

mum1979100 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:59:13

Backforgood, that was like me. I use nothing else other than shampoo and conditioners. And I swear my hair looked great. It was actually quite shiny. That's why I am tempted again. But I have heard so many bad things. I think I could get away with bad hair more easily in late teens/ early twenties. But maybe not so much in my thirtys. Not sure it's worth the risk.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 24-Apr-13 22:59:58

I'm tempted too OP.
I'm not so bothered if my hair breaks off a little bit as I have masses of it,but I thought a few 'sunkissed' bits round the front might disguise the grey on my temples brighten me up a bit.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 24-Apr-13 23:02:22

I used to bleach my hair to within an inch of its life and dye it all sorts of colours (then backcomb it and spike it) and it seemed ok.so I wonder if some hair can tolerate rough treatment more than others?

MakeTeaNotWar Wed 24-Apr-13 23:03:40

I've been using it for years - YEARS - and my hair is perfectly fine. Natural looking, cheap, easy

CarpeVinum Wed 24-Apr-13 23:07:26

<looks at photos of teenage me about a hundred years ago>

Yup.

It really is that bad.

CointreauVersial Wed 24-Apr-13 23:09:12

Well, I loved it when I was 16.

But then I wasn't too fussed about having orange straw-like streaky hair when I was 16.

whiteandyellowiris Wed 24-Apr-13 23:15:16

hw about lemon juice in the hair on asunny day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now