Talk

Advanced search

If you understand make-up and wear it regularly...

(15 Posts)
Restorer Wed 24-Apr-13 14:29:15

How much do you spend on it on a monthly basis?

ATM I use a bit of powder and tinted lip balm and TBH am shock at the price every time I need to buy a new one.

I'd love to look more put together and have booked a make-up lesson. Obviously they're going to want to sell me stuff, which I am prepared for, I accept there is a "set-up" cost, but what does it cost on an on-going basis?

GetWhatYouNeed Wed 24-Apr-13 15:09:28

I wear make up every day and although some of the products I use seem expensive at the time I'm always surprised how long they last eg £30 foundation lasts me 4-6 months, eyeshadows seem to last for years. The things that get used the quickest are mascara ( about every 6 weeks) and under eye concealer ( about every couple of months). Obviously it very much depends on the brands you use as male up prices vary enormously. I would guess I spend on average about £25-£30 a month.

rubyhaha Wed 24-Apr-13 15:48:41

agree with above. big items like foundation last for ages as do eyeshadows. mascara gets repurchased more often. over a year averaged out prob £10 a month. used to be more pre kids.

OneLittleLady Wed 24-Apr-13 15:59:57

I'd guess that I spend around ten pounds a month on make up. I tend to buy small amounts frequently rather than lots all at once. There are loads of budget brands that are just as good as the more expensive ones once you know what colours and textures to look for. MUA in Superdrug, if you have one where you are, is really good quality for the price and Rimmel gets really good reviews.

Hopefully Wed 24-Apr-13 16:34:24

I wear it every day, and I guess I buy a new foundation and lipstick every few months, but everything else seems to last indefinitely! Probably no more than £15 a month on average.

Lottapianos Wed 24-Apr-13 16:47:44

Eyeshadows do last forever, ditto blushers, especially Benefit blushers. They are expensive (£20+ each) but last for 2-3 years easily without losing much pigment.

Brands like Rimmel and Bourjois are excellent and available in Superdrug, where there are often extra offers on top. Sali Hughes (Guardian beauty writer) says that Bourjois eyeshadows and blushers are actually made by a much more upmarket brand.

£10-£15 a month sounds about right.

Wilding Wed 24-Apr-13 16:49:33

The only thing I buy on a regular basis is mascara - everything else lasts for a long time. My foundation costs around £35 but lasts for a good six months (mineral powder - love it!) and, like Lottapianos says, things like blusher and eyeshadows last forever.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 24-Apr-13 16:50:01

I wear makeup every day and everything lasts years. Cargo mascara, I use 3 coats and its a year old already.

mrspaddy Wed 24-Apr-13 16:59:44

I have a handy make up kit but I don't spend money on make up monthly. I bought the Urban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Set. I won't have to replace this for year or two. I buy eyeliner regularly but don't spend a lot on this or mascara. I wear Double Wear by Estee Lauder but stopped using for daywear as it is heavy so it last two- three months. I use Rimmel Stick Concealer Daily. Cheap- great. Lipbalm or Lipfinity for stronger look. I do love St Tropez bronser and use everyday.. this really lasts but 25 pound.
I would say one hundred would set you up with a nice kit. The you should need much to replace if brands are good.

FrugalFashionista Wed 24-Apr-13 17:08:42

Makeup lasts forever. I wear a full face of makeup every day, even during weekends, and I'm planning to spend the rest of the year without new makeup purchases. I think it's doable - one liquid foundation, concealer, blusher, eye pencil, lipstick and eye palette will definitely last for at least a full year and I have multiples. In fact, blushers, powders and pencils tend to last for years horrible if you make a mistake purchase.

I don't wear mascara very often, that is probably something you should replace more frequently. And products with SPF should be used up or replaced every year.

rubyhaha Wed 24-Apr-13 17:33:11

also last year I spent around £50 on a set of nody shop brushes I think 10 altogether chosen individually. out of that set there is only one brush that I don't use daily its the bronzer brush which is still in its wrapping.

rubyhaha Wed 24-Apr-13 17:33:56

body shop that should be!

BinksToEnlightenment Wed 24-Apr-13 19:46:07

I have a well stocked makeup bag, and I would say I spend between £0 and £30 a month to keep it topped up.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 24-Apr-13 20:07:48

I think the thing is not to feel wedded to staying on complex - it usually only costs about an extra 150 quid and I had it for convenience for coming back from day trips but I still went out a lot.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 24-Apr-13 20:08:05

Wrong thread blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now