Talk

Advanced search

Do people still wear 'going out' tops? Can anyone help me find one?

(19 Posts)
Thurlow Wed 24-Apr-13 14:01:45

Dinner and drinks with friends in a week or so, I'm struggling with what to wear. It won't be posh but will probably involve a bit of a uni-reunion vibe so there will definitely be a late night bar involved! I'd prefer to wear skinnies and pumps - but what on earth do people wear on their top nowadays?! Does the 'going out' top still exist?

I'm 5'1 and a size 10, anything with too high a neck or a sodding peplum waist makes me look terrible. I don't want to spend much more than £20-£30 as I doubt I'll wear the top often again. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

smilesandsun Wed 24-Apr-13 14:14:10

watching with interest as i've been searching for one this morning with no luck

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 24-Apr-13 14:16:10

Check out the thread called "Jen I want your top" in S and B. Lots of links to lovely dressy tops. (Including Jen's which cost £500 envy)

QueenCadbury Wed 24-Apr-13 14:22:41

Try Dorothy Perkins or oasis. They normally have good 'going out tops'

MarathonMama Wed 24-Apr-13 14:38:04

I struggle with this too, watching with interest...

TSSDNCOP Wed 24-Apr-13 14:40:22

Second Oasis for going out tops. Also Warehouse.

Thurlow Wed 24-Apr-13 14:54:25

I've just been looking at Oasis and they're nice but... I think I'm struggling because of the shape of everything nowadays. I have a definite tummy, so everything with a longer back than front doesn't flatter me at all. Everything I can see seems cut for very tall, very skinny girls and just emphasizes everything I'm not keen on! <sobs quietly>

So far I've spotted these 3 - here, here and here. Though I suspect on my height I would need slightly smaller sizes to make them look ok.

MooMinCow Wed 24-Apr-13 15:21:41

I would swap pumps for heels, add a smart blazer/biker jacket, plain well cut t-shirt/top plus a fabulous necklace, clutch and bright lippy (well, that's what I normally do!)

Thurlow Wed 24-Apr-13 15:50:53

Have the biker jacket, but I'm a wimp so the heels would never work. Well, they might do if I was just out with girls, but there are boys too and they never go anywhere that we can sit down! grin

Snowcatliveshere Wed 24-Apr-13 19:03:14

Try mint velvet - I have just got a couple of fab tops from here to wear with skinnies

Snowcatliveshere Wed 24-Apr-13 19:07:07

Meant to say am also not v tall and I found them quite flattering / perfect for a girls night out meal/pub

myalias Wed 24-Apr-13 19:27:18

www.warehouse.co.uk/zip-front-lace-back-blouse/tops-/warehouse/fcp-product/6233073050

greenteawithlemon Wed 24-Apr-13 19:35:31

Ah, going out tops. With bootleg jeans and stiletto heels. Oh the nostalgia.

Sorry OP, not trying to imply anything! It's just that phrase takes me back to a very specific time.

I saw a beautiful cream vest top covered with intricate beading in top shop today. It would look very nice with a black cardi.

greenteawithlemon Wed 24-Apr-13 19:47:16

Couldn't find it online but thought this would look nice and quite sexy, again with a little black cardi?

QueenCadbury Wed 24-Apr-13 19:48:56

Have a look at house of Fraser. They've got a 25% off event on at the moment.

Thurlow Wed 24-Apr-13 20:15:19

greentea, I know, I know! <rushes to hide the bootcut jeans she just can't get rid of>

Some lovely tops here, might have to do a big John Lewis order to try a few at the weekend. The joys of living in a town with hardly any shops!

Dancergirl Wed 24-Apr-13 20:26:43

snowcat what did you get from Mint Velvet?

Snowcatliveshere Sun 05-May-13 23:58:09

Sorry just noticed question for me! I have the Zoe print top,stone military blouse,cream embroidered top, grey beaded tee - all but the first I wear with silver double tassel necklace. Loving their stuff at moment - managed to get a discount voucher too.

Snowcatliveshere Mon 06-May-13 00:00:10

Oh and I have jeans too - fit my big curvy bum with no gap at waist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now