Talk

Advanced search

Black jacket for a petite, the never ending search

(6 Posts)
mashpot Tue 23-Apr-13 23:01:20

I am in black jacket hell, why is this my own personal holy grail??

I am a size 6/8 and I need a black jacket to throw over dresses etc to smarten up my work look when I have meetings. I can't find a good fit anywhere, where should I look? Please help, I'm desperate!

noviceoftheday Wed 24-Apr-13 05:56:00

Oh yes the holy grail, I am short waisted 5'2" and feel your pain! I have an old Zara Woman one that I hang on to like death because I have never been able to find another one. Havent looked there recently but I would try there first. I also got one from Damsel in a Dress which I think is meant to be cropped but comes up slightly longer on me (Etro jacket I think). Also got one from Armani Collezioni (was desperate and happy to pay a lot by then!) which is perfect.

chinup2011 Wed 24-Apr-13 06:03:32

Why not get one made for you. Once it's made they keep a copy of the pattern for future. Google ladies bespoke tailors in your area.

Mominatrix Wed 24-Apr-13 06:14:26

I am 5'2" and have quite a few black jackets. Joseph fit very well, as does Reiss (which goes down to size 4). The most important fitting point are the shoulders, which would be expensive to adjust and I never have a problem with these 2 brands. However, I always have to get the sleeves shortened.

Another place where you can find a well fitted, good quality jacket is J Crew. Their suiting jackets do come in Petite, so you would not need to get them tailored.

mashpot Wed 24-Apr-13 08:52:37

Thanks for these suggestions, I almost did but a Zara jacket as it was the best I found so far but it was a bit shiny, iykwim. Haven't looked in Reiss for ages as I think they went a bit off the boil but there sizes do fit me so a good shout to have a look there and I haven't tried J Crew ever (little bit pricey but I could justify a jacket on cost per wear) so will definitely try there. Thanks, I get stuck in a rut with trying the same old places all the time.

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 24-Apr-13 12:48:14

Also worth trying Banana Republic - I'm same size as you and 5'3" and I find their standard range fits me fine, but they also do petite in some stores if you need slightly shorter sleeves etc. There are always discount codes if you buy online too. I find the quality pretty good - I have a few suits from there to mix in with more expensive ones.

Depending on your height and budget, Hugo Boss also go down to a size 6. I find the sleeves a bit long but Selfridges do alterations if you're in London. They're v pricey but worth it imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now