Talk

Advanced search

Long hair help!

(22 Posts)
StuntGirl Mon 22-Apr-13 23:41:51

I am at a loss with what to do with my hair. I really struggle with my hair no matter what length or style I have it, it is very fine but there's a lot of it, gets greasy and lanky very quickly, requires daily washing with a strict routine of what products will make it anything resembling normal... I am so sick of it I just want to chop the whole bloody lot off! Not that being short helps, if anything I found it made the whole thing even harder!

Before I go and do something I'll regret please talk to me about long hair styles! I feel like I need to master the art of rollers or something to get anything out of my long hair. What hair styles do you longer haired ladies rock? What products make your lives easier? How did you learn to style your hair? I cannot seem to get the hang of most hairstyles and it's starting to annoy me. I feel like if I have long hair I should bloody well do something with it!

GemmaTeller Tue 23-Apr-13 19:29:51

I have long (past bra strap) curly hair.

I find the John Frieda range works for me, I wash it and wear it loose on day one, half up/messy up do on day 2 (but take time to straighten fringe) and on day three have a french plait. Then wash it on day four.
I did used to wash it everyday but can't be bothered anymore (now work from home) but I find long hair infinately more manageable than short hair.

I have a spiral loose perm done on bendy rollers and the other week the hairdresser dried it smooth with big bouncy curls, it looked great but I've yet to manage it.

DSD (22) has long fine hair, she washes it, puts three or four plaits in and either dries it or sleeps in it and this makes makes lovely wavy hair.

Invest in some pretty slides, scarfs, hairbands etc and speak to a hairdresser about some subtle layers that would make it 'fall' into a style.

SacreBlue Tue 23-Apr-13 19:37:02

Plaits (that's third time today!) and you can loop them over your head at front for a 'fräulein' type look or round your ears if you're a Leia fan

Side plait, ponytail or a trick I do just wrapping it round and round a straight biro then securing it place like using the pen to 'stab' through rest of hair rubbish explanation am sure video out there somewhere!

Anne of green gables loose bun is easy too but all these are harder to describe than do!

Look on long hair forums - there are loads and most have threads on hairstyles and an explanatory video how to!

Assuming you want to keep it of course, there are lots of pretty shorter styles too.

Goodwordguide Tue 23-Apr-13 19:44:05

I use a babyliss Big Hair brush to smooth and add volume. I use mousse for volume, oil and serum for condition, frizzease stuff to counteract frizz.

If I'm having a bad hair day, then a high ponytail and front clipped back but messy/ruffled - I find it difficult to do 'sleek'.

Washing is complete pain (I have to leave the conditioner on for an hour to get smooth, soft hair) so I keep it to a minimum, two or three times a week. Every tme I thnk about chopping it off, I remind myself that at least long hair can be clipped up.

StuntGirl Tue 23-Apr-13 23:25:02

I think part of the issue is I've only just got round to the idea of tying my hair up. I hate, hate, hate the way I look with my hair up, I'm over weight so have quite a round face and with my very fine hair tied back there's no volume or height to it and it has something of a pin head effect! I have recently sort of learnt to do a messy bun and on the days it works I can just about live with it.

How long did it take you to learn to do certain styles? I don't know if its just a skill one needs to learn but I cannot style my hair which limits my options!

I've been watching You Tube videos but I cannot properly copy what they do! How much practice did it take you to learn certain styles?

MaBumble Tue 23-Apr-13 23:31:02

Day 1 wash, baby bliss big hair
Day 2 dry shampoo at root (rub in and brush out well). wash & dry fringe. pony tail, sock bun or clipped back
Day 3 repeat - or wash, depending how early I get up in the morning smile

VerySmallSqueak Tue 23-Apr-13 23:36:07

Don't chop it off - tell yourself that if you haven't come up with a fresh idea or two in three months then you can consider cutting it,but not before.

It always seems that every time I cut my hair I miss it and then wish I had it back to try out something new - and then spend another couple of years growing it again.

Have you got/considered a fringe?

VerySmallSqueak Tue 23-Apr-13 23:37:40

Could you pay for a hairdresser to give you some ideas and lessons?

StuntGirl Tue 23-Apr-13 23:42:43

I have a side swept fringe, I definitely need a fringe! I love blunt cut straight fringes but my hair is so fine and greasy they only look good for the first half a day after being washed, after that it goes all greasy and separates. I actually really suit blunt fringes too, I swear my hair just works against me!

That's what inspired this post squeak, I was on the verge of cutting it all off but decided to learn to do something with it before I consider it!

What's this babyliss thing a few people have mentioned, is that worth investing in?

StuntGirl Tue 23-Apr-13 23:43:17

I possibly could squeak, do they do that?

VerySmallSqueak Tue 23-Apr-13 23:52:24

It wouldn't be too difficult just to 'wash' your fringe though,and blow dry it-and often a fringe needs that to look nice every day anyway I think.

I would think a hairdresser would do that - they do up-do's and stuff for weddings don't they,so I can't see why not.

Have you thought of clipping up a little quiff and back combing a bit for fullness,or something like that?
In the Summer of course it's nice to push your sunglasses up on your head - that pulls your hair back in quite a soft way and avoids a harsh scraped back look.

I don't know about the babyliss big hair thing although I've heard it mentioned on here a lot.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 23-Apr-13 23:55:12

I also second what Gemma says about washing and sleeping in plaits.

I find crimping a few underneath layers can also add volume without the crimped look.

SacreBlue Tue 23-Apr-13 23:58:11

I just played around and then practised what I liked that worked for me even if that was different to vids my hair is fine too so know where you are coming from re fringe. I have lots of bits and bobs to experiment with and the aren't dear.

Correct if I'm wrong but fairly sure some places with dept stores do similar things to make up counters you get hideously made over by some harpy doll like creation into one of their own point being it's the messing about and looking silly that gets you to some 'oh wow, that's nice' moments.

Place here is in HOF they have all the make up brand counters and then at least on that does hair I'm positive.

Mockingcurl Wed 24-Apr-13 09:25:16

Get yourself a Babyliss Big Hair. I got mine from e bay. I have just past shoulder length fine hair that goes flat on top. I rough dry my hai upside down with some thickening cream on it. When it is almost dry I go through it ( right way up) with the Babyliss. It is fantastic.
I have a round face that needs height. When I put it up I back comb the top sections with a tail comb.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Apr-13 10:12:18

I've found giving the roots a damn good scrub with my finger tip pads and shampooing twice helps loads. I've got loads of fine hair too.

I use:

Aveda damage remedy for shampoo and conditioner because its nearly nipple length.
Aveda light elements serum, one bottle lasts two years!. Other serums really weigh it down and look greasy.
Lee Stafford flat iron heat protector £5.99 boots only.

I splashed out on a parlux drier with ion thingys and that's helped to tame it.

Goodwordguide Wed 24-Apr-13 11:33:47

Babyliss Big Hair a large round brush that blowdries as it curls - brilliant for adding volume, though use it when your hair is practically dry, it's not a substitute for a hairdryer.

If it wasn't was the Babyliss, my long thick hair would be totally unmanageable and completely flat!

knitknack Wed 24-Apr-13 11:41:25

I have similar hair (fine, lots of it, oily skin and hair) I've just accepted that I have to wash my hair very day, so i actually use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (which seems counter intuitive but since I'm washing it every day I'd rather not do any damage, which in my experience shampoos for oily hair can do by drying out the hair). Since I've accepted this I'm less fussed by it, but I make the process a whole lot less stressful by a) doing it when i get home from work so no stress in the morning and b) not heat styling it.

I've found that if I let it dry naturally I get way less damage (and therefore looks better!) but it can look 'messy' so I either use the suggestions above of plaits or a sock-bun so I have wavy hair the next day, or, if there's enough time, wait until it's pretty much dry and then bung in 6 or 7 velcro rollers (although held with butterfly clips from amazon because there's no way they'd stay in otherwise!) and wear them until I go to bed. This is obviously more faff! but does give me sleek, shiny, hair.

You need to find a routine that works for you. I think a sock bun sounds ideal for you - have you tried it?

knitknack Wed 24-Apr-13 11:42:02

Oh, I also rub together some serum and some hair cream and apply that to the last few inches of hair after washing.

madmomma Wed 24-Apr-13 19:36:28

Ah OP I am similarly despairing. I could've written your post. My hair is also long and plentiful but babyfine. I am ham fisted when it comes to hair and that doesn't help. The things I've found that improve matters are: avoiding conditioner (I just spray it when it's damp with bumble + bumble prep spray, which is genius - takes away all static and detangles without adding any weight) Drying upside down helps too, and I second the rec for aveda light smoothing fluid. Also I add a bit of cider vinegar to a final, cold rinse - it really boosts shine and body. The approach I take now is to not even bother trying to do anything with it style-wise. It never holds and just causes frustration. So I just keep it squeakry clean and shiny and try to think of loose hair as my 'look'. As long as your colour is up to date and your hair is clean, I don't think you can go far wrong. Try and work with the texture and remember that others probably think that your hair looks great - it's just you that is critical cos you're frustrated with it. I did see on pintrest a girl running straighteners over plaited hair so as to set the wave, which I found intriguing. Maybe if we did that, then finished with a cold shot and ellnett before removing the bobbles we'd be wavy-haired goddesses! Might try it.

StuntGirl Thu 25-Apr-13 19:24:48

I find washing my fringe actually makes it worse, I think I must not be rinsing it properly and it goes terribly greasy no matter what I try. I've found if I have to I can use a bit of dry shampoo on my fringe to tide me over an extra day.

I'll look into this Babyliss thing though, it might be just what I need to add a bit of volume.

"remember that others probably think that your hair looks great - it's just you that is critical cos you're frustrated with it." - Yes this really. I do sometimes get comments on how straight or long or soft my hair is, which I know I'm lucky for. So half the battle is won, just need to figure out how to do something with this long shiney mane!

Am going to try the plaiting while wet thing tonight and see how it turns out!

willowstar Thu 25-Apr-13 19:35:02

Wow so much of what you have written could have been written by me. I have lots alots of very fine hair that 'does' absolutely nothing and won't keep any kind of style. I found the baby kiss big hair a big disappointment as any style or volume just fell out instantly. I too have a round face and chins and hate wearing my hair back so feel your pain.

StuntGirl Thu 25-Apr-13 21:38:48

Ahh its nice to know I'm not the only one! flowers None of my friends have this problem, they all complain of their hair being too thick/unruly/frizzy - basically the opposite of me!

Surely some long, fine haired lady has mastered her hair though?! I'd love to know the secret!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now