Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear a maxi?

(21 Posts)
Playerpleeeese Mon 22-Apr-13 21:43:23

I'm going to Marrakech in August. We will be going out and about so need to cover up.

I love maxi dresses but I am 5ft 2 so have been to scared before.

I'm a size 8 but not toned. My bum is massive in comparison to the rest of my body, and I have love handles blush so does anyone know of anything flattering?

Sh1ney Mon 22-Apr-13 22:47:37

Hmm. I'd have to say no. I'm 5 ft 3 ( and a bit! ) and a size 8/10 and look like a ship in full sail when wearing a maxi dress. I go for something shorter and more fitted and look a million times better.

You really need to be 5 ft 7 plus. But that's just my opinion

Playerpleeeese Mon 22-Apr-13 23:29:20

Ahhh yep that's what I've always thought! But miss selfridge has some really pretty petite ones so is thought id give it a go......27 inch legs suck sad

Ujjayi Tue 23-Apr-13 07:09:56

Does it have to be the billowing variety? Surely a more fitted version would look fine?

dexter73 Tue 23-Apr-13 07:14:40

I agree with Ujjayi - a fitted maxi would look great. Nobody looks good in a billowing dress!

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 23-Apr-13 09:37:26

I'm 5'3 and size 6-8 and have a couple of maxi dresses - always get compliments when I wear them (indeed, once was in Marrakech!). The key is to go for ones which compliment your shape and don't have excess volume - although having said that the one I get most compliments on is a DVF halter neck one which is more floaty (this one).

I think at your size you should definitely be able to wear them but you may need to try some on to find the right style and be prepared to need hem taken up!

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 23-Apr-13 09:40:05

I'm 5 ft 2 and a size 8 and I look fine in maxi dresses, I think...but I do go for structured ones, and I make sure that they fit in the first place...any that are too long do me no credit, and having them taken up destroys all the proportions.

SPsYoniTheOneAndOnly Tue 23-Apr-13 09:42:12

I'm 4 foot 11.5 and a size 6 would love a maxi dress but even Kids ones age 12-13 are too long!

I have accepted I will never get to wear one sad

TakingTheStairs Tue 23-Apr-13 09:44:31

I'm only 5'3" and if I wear a maxi, I wear a belt around the waist or choose one that has a waist band so that it doesn't completely overwhelm me. Yes you can wear a maxi, but make sure it's a cut/shape that flatters you.

teta Tue 23-Apr-13 09:49:04

I'm 5ft 3 and i wear maxis.I find it easier to wear skirts though with vest top or jumper.Hush have a really nice fitted jersey maxi with a slit which is every flattering.Also American apparel have some in jersey that are meant to fit the vertically challenged.I also wear slightly more floaty maxis in cotton/silk mixtures for summer and they look fine paired with a fitted top.

Dolallytats Tue 23-Apr-13 09:54:23

I'm 5'2 AND a size 18 (now 6 months pregnant so also look like a ball!!) and have worn maxi dresses and have always been told they look nice. I think you just have to try a few on in different styles to get to the one that suits you.

Playerpleeeese Wed 24-Apr-13 16:24:34

Thank you, I'm going to take the plunge and order a few from the petite section and see how I get on!

bishboschone Wed 24-Apr-13 19:20:11

I'm 5 ft and size 8/10 . I wear Maxis and have done for the last 3 years or so . They suit me . I get annoyed when mumsnet consensus is dont wear this and that if you are short . It's rubbish!

bishboschone Wed 24-Apr-13 19:21:15

The one and only.... Find one you love and have it shortened !

dexter73 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:51:01

bishboschone - I don't get why people think maxis don't suit short people. I thought that one of the recommended ways of making yourself appear taller was to wear all one colour, so surely a long dress would make you seem taller? (assuming the dress doesn't swamp you)

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 24-Apr-13 19:54:03

I am so with you bish. Honestly - I do sometimes wonder what people expect us shorter women to wear as so much is forbidden.

However I do agree proportions are key - slinky and slim fitting is more flattering but that goes for any height I think.

scarlet76 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:55:23

5ft and size 6/8 here. I wear them and long jersey skirts with fitted vests tucked in which creates a similar look.
As others have said, go for fitted / straight cut ones. I also wear with wedge heels to give the illusion of height

Ashoething Wed 24-Apr-13 19:57:56

You are a size 8-wear whatever the hell you like!

Tieni Wed 24-Apr-13 20:00:54

5'2, size 10-12; I have 2 in petite sizes and they look and feel great.

bishboschone Wed 24-Apr-13 20:02:47

Exactly !!. They elongate me . I'm hourglass so I guess that helps .

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Wed 24-Apr-13 20:14:27

I saw a petite woman in a jersey one today, she looked lovely. Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now