Talk

Advanced search

So if you order something online

(14 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:06:16

How long do you think is reasonable to spend trying it on/out before you decide its not for you?

Am asking after a conversation with a friend who said she'd worn a pair of jeans round the house for the day then decided they weren't for her and sent them back.

Now to me that's way too long - surely you try on with a few things if necessary and then send back not wear for a day - or am I wrong?

I guess it just put me off a bit - if I buy something new I accept others may have tried it on but now worn the item for hours and hours.

HungryClocksGoBackFourSeconds Mon 22-Apr-13 18:13:39

sometimes jeans give after a bit of wear, maybe they were too tight and she was seeing if they'd get more comfy with wear?

cardamomginger Mon 22-Apr-13 18:14:07

I think your friend is taking the piss a bit TBH. I think most people know whether something fits pretty quickly once it's on. Fair enough, you might be unsure, particularly if you've ordered the same thing in 2 sizes and each size kind of fits, but in a different way. Then you might need to keep each item on for a bit longer. But surely you can do all the standing up, sitting down, walking around, reaching up, etc, etc that you need to do within a few minutes??
If you wear something all day, even 'just round the house', it's getting creased - I'm thinking the jeans she rejected will have creases at the back of the knees.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:20:53

I agree Cardamom - I just don't think its on to wear something all day for trying on purposes.

Its a bit like buying a dress wearing it out with the tags on and then returning it to the shop for a refund - it seems very very wrong to me.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Mon 22-Apr-13 18:22:10

I usually only try something on for five minutes or so if I'm not sure. Wearing something all day would make me think something wasn't new any more for someone else if that makes sense.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:22:17

Hungry - I think that's the risk you take with jeans a bit though and if they stretch too much then return them as being faulty - or that's what I'd do

madammecholet Mon 22-Apr-13 18:22:50

That's not on. I'd be furious to think i'd got a pair of jeans in an order which had been worn by someone else for a day...

What did you say to her MrsCB when she told you?

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 22-Apr-13 18:24:45

My face did shock but I have read similar on here before and got umm shouted at a bit when I pointed out that I thought it was a bit yuck.

So was wondering if its me being overly precious I guess.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Mon 22-Apr-13 18:31:26

I don't think you are being overly previous at all. If I was buying a new pair of jeans, I wouldn't expect someone to have worn them around the house all day, then decided they were too tight or something. If I'm not sure about something, I try it on for a few minutes and see, and if I'm still not sure I take it off and try it on again later. I'd imagine something that has been worn for hours smells of the persons deodorant or perfume which would annoy a retailer most likely.

dexter73 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:49:52

I should be so lucky to keep a pair of jeans clean enough to send back after wearing them all day! Maybe half an hour if you wanted to test out jeans for bagginess but even that seems a bit long really.

TravelinColour Mon 22-Apr-13 18:55:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sonotkylie Mon 22-Apr-13 18:56:42

I wouldn't eat while wearing something I hadn't decided on so that gives a maximum of about 30 minutes! I agree that's too long, but that said I was told in John Lewis to wear a new size bra round the house without taking the tags off for a day to see how it 'settles' ...

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 22-Apr-13 19:36:07

Eeeuuugh sonotkylie - you see I think a lot of people do this and we're the minority for not doing it.

Travelin - yes I can tell quickly too if something is going to work or not.

imour Mon 22-Apr-13 23:44:33

i would literally try on and walk about for a minute , id be too scared id dropped something on them and ruin them before i decided .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now