Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Flip Flops

(30 Posts)
speedymama Tue 16-May-06 12:05:29

DH and I think they are the creation of the devil. We loathe them. It is bad enough that so many women wear them but now, even men are getting in on the act. I wouldn't mind but too many people who wear them have gnarled, ugly looking feet!
DH refuses to wear sandals but I will wear ones that do not expose too much of my feet.

Does anyone else hate flip flops or are we abnormal?

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 12:07:50

I love them. They are so easy to wear and comfy. And because they are cheap I can afford to buy several pairs.

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 12:08:08

Sorry not the answer you wanted.

foxinsocks Tue 16-May-06 12:08:22

I think you are a foot hater

waterfalls Tue 16-May-06 12:09:18

I love them, its like wearing slippers all day long, east to put on and off, goes with pretty much anything, no faffing around with socks, boots and laces, I have about 10 pairs, and they are cheap.

arfy Tue 16-May-06 12:14:29

I hate them. absolutely hate them. the thought of a toe post makes me feel ill and there are too many ugly feet around

feel better now

speedymama Tue 16-May-06 12:28:15

Flip flops spoil summer for me

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 12:29:15

Flip flops use should be restricted to public showers.

speedymama Tue 16-May-06 12:47:30

On a serious note, in the office where DH works, some women wear flip flops. We both think that is so unprofessional as well as unsightly. Flip flops are not smart. I really do loathe, loathe, loathe them. Yuk!

cod Tue 16-May-06 12:47:47

Message withdrawn

cod Tue 16-May-06 12:47:55

Message withdrawn

beety Tue 16-May-06 12:49:06

have you got horrid feet then speedymama, perhpas you need to go for a pedicure.

I wear flipflops, have about 5 pairs for the summer.

Dh wears birkies, and they look wonderful

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 12:50:06

They're not smart at all, speedy, and a deffo NO NO in the workplace, no matter how casual.

megglevache Tue 16-May-06 12:51:27

Message withdrawn

megglevache Tue 16-May-06 12:51:49

Message withdrawn

Polgara2 Tue 16-May-06 13:02:15

Well am I the only one who finds they hurt her toes where the post goes then?

Esmummy Tue 16-May-06 13:03:53

I am a flip flop lover too. And have been known to wear them even when it is not particularly hot, just really comfy.

Orlando Tue 16-May-06 13:07:52

Am

Had no idea my beloved flip flops could be causing offence to the casual observer.

Mind you, now I come to type it the name is bloody stupid.

puff Tue 16-May-06 13:11:07

I don't like flip flops but do like some of the leather "posh" versions of them, although are these sandals?

Got some lovely Kenneth Cole ones - everyone keeps saying how lovely they are and asking where I bought them.

TinyGang Tue 16-May-06 13:35:36

Don't like flip flops on men.

Tortington Tue 16-May-06 13:36:56

i hvae fugly feet. and they smell. believe me when i sincerely say - it is better for the office ...nay the world if i wear flip flops to the office, because my foot smell can kill.

i also have very sensitive sore feet so getting new shoes ( apart from me being a penny piching tight arse northerner..this is true) is a painful experience in mroe than one way.

hence not only do i wear flop flips - and i do have fugly feet - y'know the type where you put varnish on your little toe nail - even though you haven't really got one - buuuuut i also have an array of well worn fugly shoes ( they were once beautiful) but once a shoe is comfy - its rather like a love filled marriage, where you dont want to change him - he looks better to you with age even though the shine has worn off and there are more creases.

anniemac Tue 16-May-06 13:38:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinyGang Tue 16-May-06 13:46:42

OMG I do that Custy - I have to paint on a little toe nail cos I've never had one really I thought it was just ME!

I had to have my foot XRayed once and the doctor said what the hell is THAT! Haha! I had to say it was my pretend nail.

cardy Tue 16-May-06 13:50:53

I love flip flops especailly Birkenstocks, they are best thing about summer - no socks/tights just open comfy flip flops.

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 14:04:57

Hmm we have business casual in the office. So think "smart" flip-flops - ie leather ones or ones with heel would be OK. Would agree that rubber soled ones would be a no-no.

My Mum has got some St George cross ones. cringe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: