Talk

Advanced search

Please help me dress for work

(6 Posts)
JellyBellyWorkWear Mon 22-Apr-13 14:30:48

I'm lost where to start after a second maternity leave. I've gained to a size 12+ jelly belly which doesn't have a hope of fitting in my size 8 work wear (all nipped in waists too). I don't have a hope of losing it all before I return next month plus I now have 2 under three and I need a quicker streamlined wardrobe for work, something that can be thrown on with little effort. My old stuff is falling apart anyway and have needed an overhaul for a while, I really could start from the beginning.

So work, me
-early 30's
-deputy headteacher, acting headteacher for the foreseeable future (primary)
-low maintenence

Pictures of ideas are hugely hugely appreciated as I'm rubbish at visualising!

My husband reckons I should just get a few suits (like him) to chuck on each day, tempted but any other ideas? I'm not a suit fan much and do work with the little ones getting down with paint etc so dry clean only isn't great.

suebfg Mon 22-Apr-13 19:43:29

My staples are dresses in various colours: red, navy, black, camel etc. They are generally washable and from M&S. I wear jackets or little cardigans over them.

I think as a deputy, you do need a couple of suits tbh. You can always take your jacket off to be a bit less formal. In addition, either wide legged or cigarette trousers, with cropped jackets and drapey tops can work well. I'm also a huge pencil skirt fan and I like The White Company for smart looking but v comfortable jersey dresses. I wear a cami or t-shirt under them and stick a little cropped jacket on top. Ballet shoes for day to day but keep a pair of heels in your drawer for when you need to be smarter.

Here but with a different shirt

This sort of dress with a cami under and little jacket over

Smart but comfortable

Any use?

DewDr0p Mon 22-Apr-13 20:20:48

I got some good tailored dresses from M&S a bit like this which are very smart and require almost zero thought (I wore with a little cardi and medium heels) The first one I got was recommended by a friend, I have to say the pictures on the website didn't do it justice, it was very flattering.

They're not great for getting down on the floor though! Just thought they would fulfil the smart as a suit requirement?

JellyBellyWorkWear Mon 22-Apr-13 21:08:17

Thank you

suebfg-I have some dresses, but think I'd prefer to go back to trousers

Remus- I just never know wear to start with suits! Ta for the pictures, gave me some ideas. The first style would highlight my belly as I think would the dress, but the idea of cropped coloured jackets is an idea

Thanks for the idea dewdrop but I don't think I could sit on the floor with little children in that, and again I am a bit belly heavy right now.

I have dresses in www.oasis-stores.com///fcp-product/3470103205 style, but a little longer on me or this but again a longer cut

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now