Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I have just bought Dove Summer Glow (fair to normal)... I am scared to use it.. please help me not to go orange...

(23 Posts)
SleepyJess Tue 16-May-06 11:34:13

I so want to have a slight tan.. but I keep hearing horror stories about orange streaks and seeing as I have experienced so many of those nightmares, I don't want to 'go there' again! In the hottest parts of last summer, I was sweltering in jeans because of my oddly tango and chocolate-effect legs!

This won't happen with this new type stuff will it?? Why do I keep hearing that it does..

Do you have to exfoliate first? How does one do that? I have a mitt thing my mother brought me.. will that do?

I want to be gorgeous. Well a bit gorgeous would do. Please advice

SJ x

charliecat Tue 16-May-06 11:36:40

moisturise your dry bits first. then apply and wipe hands and feet with a flannel when your done.

SleepyJess Tue 16-May-06 11:38:22

Is it best done after a bath? (Haven't got a shower) And how many days in a row? I won;t suddenly go orange after eg the 3rd day will I? And can I use it ok on my face?

Orlando Tue 16-May-06 11:39:55

Use it right now! You will be very faintly sun-kissed and very beautiful by four o'clock I promise.

Exfoliation is a bonus, but not essential. These new moisturiser-tans are not neeearly so scary as the old style Posh-spice duck-a-l'orange ones.

Do it NOW and report back later!

charliecat Tue 16-May-06 11:41:32

Best done on dry skin, but Ive done it after giving myself a good dry out the bath. You will be able to see it a few hours after.
One you have reached the colour you like leave it a couple of days and apply again
Face fine Mind do your neck too
Remeber to wipe off your hands and feet though. Thats the give away...dirty looking hands and feet.

Orlando Tue 16-May-06 11:41:51

a bath will soften up your skin and feel very decadent in the middle of the day but isn't really necessary. It'll still work without. Two days and you'll be glowing. Three days and you'll look distinctly browner. No orange at all.

Orlando Tue 16-May-06 11:42:31

Sorry charliecat, crossing posts here!

freshstart Tue 16-May-06 11:51:53

you should be fine with fair to normal. IMO its hardly visible but the darker one IS and does cause the dreaded streaks.

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 11:53:07

I agree, go w/the fair to normal.

I look tango'd w/the darker one unless I mix it w/moisturiser.

crunchie Tue 16-May-06 11:59:37

Exfoiliate first - honestly you lot suggesting otherwise!! Scrub scrub scrub at those ankles, knees and elbows. And all over gently.

I do apply after the bath/shower, after I have dried off. Use the lotion spareingly, but rub in really really well. I put a blob in one hand, then apply by using a bit at a time on my other hand IYKWIM.

Then get a flannel/towel and rub your knees, ankles and elbows again.

Lastly WASH YOUR HANDS, try to make sure you wash the palms and between the fingers well, rather than the backs of your hands.

I find 2 - 3 applications the best, I usually do 2 one each day and then a 3rd after missing a day IYKWIM. I then keep it up with an application every 2 or 3 days. I do exfoliate every3 or 4 days too as that always helps. You can use it in the face, but again, rub in really really well, and wipe your eyebrows and hairline

Good l;uck

SleepyJess Tue 16-May-06 12:15:50

Thanks Crrunchie.. will do

SleepyJess Tue 16-May-06 12:16:05

Thanks Crrunchie.. will do

Kaloo20 Tue 16-May-06 12:56:08

Its a moisturiser as well - just get out of a bath and slap it on. I have been using it as a moisturiser in the mornings on my legs. It's fine

you won't go orange as long as you don't apply it too often

Pollyanna Tue 16-May-06 12:59:46

I have gone orange!! But I have applied it 3 days in a row. I am hoping there isn't a heatwave in the next few days.

JanH Tue 16-May-06 13:08:16

How do you all manage your backs? Or do you just do limbs? I do like the sound of this stuff...

Orlando Tue 16-May-06 13:11:38

Every so often I grab a passing daughter, or dh on the understanding that he has to pay attention to detail.

But the good thing about this stuff is that its so subtle that you don't really ever end up in a tide-mark situation. I've tried Johnsons, clarins and Dove but I'm now onto the Nivea one and I think it's the best of the lot. Even smells gorgeous, and has a special face tan one that's as good as a normal moisturiser.

JanH Tue 16-May-06 13:38:22

Thanks, Orlando

I'll try some Nivea first then. My skin is a revolting shade of purplish-white and if it gets any sun it goes into red blotches (a classy look you'll agree) so a bit of brown would make a huge difference!

shellybelly Tue 16-May-06 13:38:51

I wouldn't moisturise before applying it, after all it is a moisturiser with the tan added in, I've just recently bought the nivea but do use the johnson one and it left no streaks nor orange bits

SleepyJess Tue 16-May-06 14:02:25

Personally bought the Dove one because I have been conducting 'research' by getting recommendations from every woman I come across in RL (well nearly every woman!) and Dove seems to have been the most popular choice

charliecat Wed 17-May-06 19:56:33

How did it go?

SleepyJess Wed 17-May-06 20:44:35

I haven't done it yet... you have reminded me to do it just now, when I get out of my bath! Have to do it after bath.. I have no time to be naked at any other occasion throughout the day! Will rub with my exfoliating mitt.. and dry throughly after..

Actually will just print off Crunchie's instructions.. then if I get Tangoed, she's for the high jump..

jac34 Wed 17-May-06 20:55:37

I've been using Johnson's holiday skin,every morning when I get out of the shower.
It has made a real difference and a few people have asked me if I've been away.
It isn't at all fake looking or orange.

hullabaloo Wed 17-May-06 21:43:15

I'm really pale ( reddy brown hair / freckles)and expected to get a soft subtle glow with this but after only 1 application I looked really brown! Not a complaint - just a surprise. If I had used this over five days like they recommend I would be really dark!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: