Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear having a dress disaster! Please help!!

(19 Posts)
GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 13:26:18

OK so with just on three weeks to go until an extremely important family event and I have just realized the dress I've bought is far, far too short. No disguising it at all, it's one of those type of events where too much leg and boob just doesn't sit right at ALL.

I am on a tight budget of £60 max would prefer less if I can. The dress I get MUST go with either tan or black courts. I am a pear shaped 14 and 5' 8". Please can somebody help am on the verge of tears, I really struggle with formal and thought I had it all sorted!

josparkle Mon 22-Apr-13 13:32:36

Hi,
I was having a similar trauma and found it hard to find something in the shops of a more decent length. However, I found that debenhams had a fantastic selection of dresses that were of about knee length-im 5'10 so would be good length for your height. The betty Jackson range had some that came in around your budget.
Hope that is of some help and you find a lovely dress!

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 13:48:01

Thank you! Never thought of Debenhams, browsing there now. Everything this season seems to be cut really short but there are quite a few things on there.

HorraceTheOtter Mon 22-Apr-13 13:50:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HorraceTheOtter Mon 22-Apr-13 13:51:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 14:23:20

Think religious occasion! Loving the oasis one and the green phase eight.

How short is the dress?

Too much leg isn't as bad as excessive cleavage really. As long as it covers your arse with a few inches to spare it will be fine... Honestly!

piratecat Mon 22-Apr-13 15:01:17

my friend got a lovely dress in the Debenhams sale. i saw a lovely one online with a floral pattern. can't link from my phone. but am sure you will find something now you have the mumsnet team.

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 15:26:58

It's not bum skimmingly short but short enough to make me feel uncomfortable and I know if I'm not happy I won't enjoy the day. Also I have pretty chunky legs and this dress doesn't do me any favours! I don't know what I was thinking really, I had leggings on the day I tried it and when I've tried it bare legged it with my heels it just looks awful! It's this one.

Have you tried it on with a decent pair of tights? Bare legs always look a bit horrifying in the mirror after a long winter!

Could you wear it with black tights? Low denier maybe?

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 15:34:59

I was wondering about nude tights, are they acceptable again? Might try that as I love the dress apart from the length.

BuntyCollocks Mon 22-Apr-13 15:38:33

Nude tights are fab. Do they maybe do the dress in their tall range?

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 15:41:42

Nope, they only do it in standard sizes, no petite or tall. None of the reviews mention the length either so must just be me being prudish!

NotAQueef Mon 22-Apr-13 15:44:39

You might not like any of them but have found a few that might be ok :

pretty and would work with tan shoes

this might be ok with tan

possibly too sexy

another one

this?

Autumn12 Mon 22-Apr-13 15:56:27

I think you could get away with that dress with a pair of tights, either nude, low denier black or even opaque depending on how nice the weather stays over the next few weeks.

mrspaddy Mon 22-Apr-13 16:00:42

I really like the dress and think it looks like a flattering cut. I would probably go with a low denier / opaque too. Not nude tights of you are self -conscious. Try it on again before you buy something in a panic. Wish I had your height.. make the most of it .. enjoy your function smile

DonnyOsmondsTeeth Mon 22-Apr-13 16:08:08

If I suggest a pair of slim fitting trousers I'll be shot down in flames by all you style mavens! But that's what I'd do, treat it as a tunic.

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 22-Apr-13 16:12:17

Something like these or are they a bit old lady?

Donny I wondered about that but the cut of the dress (very structured at the top with a full skirt) wouldn't suit being worn as a tunic.

piratecat Mon 22-Apr-13 16:19:43

that dress i spoke of isn't there now.

i think your dress would look better with dark tights. those tights will prob scream 'legs' iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now