Talk

Advanced search

Please help me look less haggard, I'm only 27! <sad face>

(5 Posts)
Skaramoosh Mon 22-Apr-13 10:12:29

This is my first venture into S&B and I hope you wise people have some advice for me!

As the title states, I am 27 so relatively young (I think!) but in the last two years I've had two pregnancies and obviously now have two young children so I am TIRED and my face shows it which is adding years to me.

My skin seems dry and grey - I am trying to drink as much water as possible to help with the dryness but can you think of any kind of vitamins or supplements which might help me look slightly more alive? Or at least some kind of tried and tested miracle make up to at least camouflage the horror-skin...

I used to have naturally quite nice skin which I took for granted, has it gone forever?

Please help!!

JazzDalek Mon 22-Apr-13 10:57:11

I would add the following foods to your diet if they aren't there already:

Avocados
Olive oil (I just have a little over steamed vegetables)
Oily fish (I love sardines and mackerel)
Coconut oil
Brazil and Macadamia nuts / oils / butters (Meridian do various nut butters, available from Holland and Barrett or Ocado)
High-quality cod liver oil

And what is your skincare routine like? I would recommend an oil-based hot cloth cleanser followed by a facial oil - I use rosehip or tamanu oils, but also really like this:
www.amarya.co.uk/index.php/brands/pomegranate/active-night-plus-rollerball-by-pomegranate.html

Skaramoosh Mon 22-Apr-13 11:14:06

Thanks Jazz that's useful re. diet, I have noticed that my skin used to be slightly oily in a healthy looking way but is now the opposite so presumably adding those types of food may help restore this somewhat.

Oh yes, skin care routine, well it's quite bad actually starting to think I've brought this bad skin on myself! I remove make up, if I've worn it that day, with a wipe (I've heard these are very bad - should I stop?) and wash with various body shop face washes, then moisturise with a body shop aloe night moisturiser. In the morning I wash with plain water and use an Olay daily moisturiser. This is not a great routine admittedly!

Hazelbrowneyes Mon 22-Apr-13 16:14:11

I also have crappy skin.

I used Aldi face wipes day and night, followed by Simple purifying lotion, Simple toner and a moisturiser from Aldi (day cream or shimmering moisturiser for the day and night cream at night).

In the shower I wash my face with Simple face wash, once a week I exfoliate and put a face mask on.

I use simple make up remover (when I remember). I only wear eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick on a daily basis. For big nights out I wear BB cream instead of foundation but I won't wear it on a daily basis.

During summer I use an Olay moisturiser with at least SPF 15.

I take multivitamins every day and I try to drink lots of water.

I eat a reasonable diet - lots of veg, I limit fruit because of sugar and I cook with olive oil. I limit red meat and try to eat fish wherever possible.

I've reduced my caffeine and alcohol intake too.

I've been doing the above for roughly 3-4 months. My skin looks better than ever.

Sugarice Mon 22-Apr-13 16:26:35

Lower your alcohol intake or better still stop drinking.
A litre of water over the course of the day.
Salmon twice a week at least.
Fish oils every day, I take 4000mg.

Double cleanse at night, I use Una Brennan's facial oils from boots as a pre cleanse then Emma Hardie or Botanicals balm cleanser. While this is on I give my face a good old massage with my fingers [ quite hard] to get the blood flowing. I then use serum underneath my moisturiser.

My skin is also much better after I stopped eating bread and pasta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now