Talk

Advanced search

What is this 'do' that the young folk wear?

(15 Posts)
JeremyPiven Sun 21-Apr-13 17:52:40

I keep seeing a hairstyle which seems popular with the young and fashionable where I live, but I can't work out how it's done.

Iam neither young nor fashionable but would like to try it anyway

It's a sort of topknot where the hair is all folded over, but manages to look loose and not too scraped back.

Any ideas how it's done?

WipsGlitter Sun 21-Apr-13 17:56:18

Messy bun? Try you tube for tutorials.

InkleWinkle Sun 21-Apr-13 17:57:43

I think you need a hair 'doughnut'
Google it & see if that's what you mean.

JeremyPiven Sun 21-Apr-13 18:00:45

No, it's not a bun or doughnut thing. It looks more like folded over itself, but I can't work out how they pin it so it stays in place without slumping down, whilst not looking tight either

HandsofaCrone Sun 21-Apr-13 18:07:34

I think I know what you mean but can't find a picture. You need long thick (or not thin) hair with plenty of texture. I used to be able to do it when I had long hair <cries>. You make a loose pony tail on top of your head and pull the hair half through it so you have a loop, then fan the loop out and pin it wherever it needs pinning. It doesn't flop if you have dirty hair with 'grip'.

HandsofaCrone Sun 21-Apr-13 18:10:32

Not the clearest picture but is it like this? Type top knot into Pinterest, you might find it there.

JeremyPiven Sun 21-Apr-13 18:18:03

Yes that's the one!!
Ah, thick, dirty hair. Mine is neither. Maybe not for me then, but thanks for clarifying grin

HandsofaCrone Sun 21-Apr-13 18:21:30

If you've got the length maybe you can fake it? Lots of product, hairspray, mattifying wax, don't wash it for a few days.. smile But if you've got lovely silky hair with no grip it might be tricky. Mine is wavy and turns into dreadlocks after two days if I don't wash or brush so it stays where I put it.

HandsofaCrone Sun 21-Apr-13 18:22:04

Maybe I have the hair of a crone as well as the hands of a crone??

JeremyPiven Sun 21-Apr-13 18:27:28

I would love the hair of a crone. I have the hair of a small child- feels nice, but really fine and silky, doesn't hold any sort of shape or style, dead straight, and sticks limply to my head with any sort of product. Oh and incredibly static.

Never mind grin

WallyBantersYoniBox Sun 21-Apr-13 20:19:12

It's called the tousled top knot and when I was in Manchester a few weeks ago I think it was a competitive sport - they seemed to be getting bigger and bigger as the week went on.!

My buyer does it by back combing her hair and using her false "bun" and swirling the back combed hair around it.

By the end of the day she rather resembles one of the disco'ed out brides in a Gypsy Wedding as the statement brows have usually smeared a bit along with the disembowelled bun too.

All in the name of fashion! grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 21-Apr-13 20:22:23

I do it with one bobble and a couple of kirby grips. You make a hig pony tail and then before you pull all the hair through on the second "round" you stop...and pull it out as though it were a normal tail.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 21-Apr-13 20:23:57

I do it as HandsofaCrone describes. I've tried it with a doughnut and can't work it. My hair is fairly long and its really thick, not dirty though!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 21-Apr-13 20:32:45

You only need a bobble and a few grips to achieve it OP as long as your hair is thickish and long enough.

HandsofaCrone Sun 21-Apr-13 20:37:19

Ha Viva when I say dirty I just mean not washed that day, not actually dirty...I'm not that much of a crone grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now