Talk

Advanced search

Starting from scratch. Help.

(8 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Sat 20-Apr-13 12:28:34

I hate my wardrobe. It looks cheap, bobbly jumpers, worn out boots etc.

I've decided to chuck most of it and start again.

I don't have £££s and nor do I have the instinct for style as so many on here do.

So, I'm asking for help to build up a capsule wardrobe. I'm a sahm of 4 dcs. Busy as everyone is. I need practical and stylish.

I'm a size 14-16 (still overweight after ds3 pgy), 6ft tall and a size 9 shoe.

Can anyone help, please?

talkingnonsense Sat 20-Apr-13 13:02:51

Hm, what are your best features? Are you leggy ( you sound it!), good boobs? What do you want to hide? Are you a jeans or a skirt person?

WinkyWinkola Sat 20-Apr-13 13:10:47

Yes. 34 inch leg. DD boobs. Detest them.

Flabby round middle. Spare tyre. Ugly. In fact, I feel very 'meaty' at the moment. sad

I prefer trousers and leggings but will wear skirts too.

talkingnonsense Sat 20-Apr-13 13:31:50

Ok- skinny or bootcut jeans? Worth trying tk maxx as they often have long leg lengths. Otherwise I don't know about tall - I'm short! Wear with converse/ sketchers/ superga as comfy ( I wear fitflop plimsolls as so comfy!). Tops- do you look good in a fitted long sleeve ( uniqulo) with a longer short sleeve top over? Can you rock a scarf?

practicality Sat 20-Apr-13 13:42:40

I did this receNtly after losing a fair bit of weight. I am a size 14 but owing to a stomach apron thing sometimes need a 16 in trousers so it disguises it.

Anyway after trying some things out at Boden ( I got a couple of items from them) I found Next to be pretty good.

From Boden the black jersey maxi is worth the money. Size down to a 12 though and go for it's longest length. It is really versatile and something you can just bung on as soon as the weather heats up a bit. Otherwise it looks great with a cropped denim jacket. Peacocks have a really nice one in at the moment. Pile on some silver bangles and it looks put together yet casual.

The plain boatneck tops are good. Again I got these in black as the reviews said the other colours were sheer. These have washed really well and are flattering. I bought a 14 and it hangs really well, sort of flattering across the norks and falls nicely away from the stomach without being voluminous. The long sleeve Breton is good too. I found the short sleeve one a bit boxy.

maxi

boatneck

Breton

From Next I bought these jeans. They are really flattering. Hold you in and keep their shape. Very nice material too. They do them in tall. You should find the 14 a good fit.

Other good buys from Next are these linen tops. I bought the White and the Navy. They need a thin strap vest worn underneath and I would say go for a 12 as they are still lose. With the bottom of the vest showing at hip level it gives the illusion of a slimmer silhouette. They feel really nice against the skin too and wash well. I also bought the short sleeve ones in the same colour ways for when the weather heats up. Again I'd advise sizing down to a 12.
The slubby tops are good as well but do need the vest worn underneath.
slub
I would stick to a 14 in these. I bought both long and short sleeve navy ones.

I have stuck to navy,black,White and cream so everything goes together for me but all this stuff is offered in different colours.

HTH.

IDoTakeTwo Sat 20-Apr-13 13:44:51

I'd start with the bra intervention. If you have biggish boobs, you probably are not a dd

practicality Sat 20-Apr-13 13:59:38

denim jacket

Just read your description of yourself. You are just an apple shape and need to dress accordingly. I also have that shape no matter how thin I have been. Just keep everything streamlined and don't put any emphasis on the waist. Higher waisted cuts are brilliant as are side zip wide leg trousers.

Wearing a jersey column dress can work wonders if you wear it with a cropped jumper/Cardigan or one of those loose cropped tops. High waisted skinny jeans worn with boots and a long fitted tunic/jumper is flattering too when it's colder. Tank tops work as well ( in a darker colour) worn over a contrasting longer top. That seems to sort the proportions out too.

Steer clear of any maxi dresses that have an empire with major pleating. These suit pears not apples. They just make apples look pregnant because we are usually carriers of norks and broad ribcages.

WinkyWinkola Sat 20-Apr-13 13:59:49

Oh lovely. Some great inspiration here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now