Talk

Advanced search

Dressmaking question

(8 Posts)
BreastmilkCrucifiesAFabLatte Fri 19-Apr-13 22:15:05

This may be a daft question, but is it possible to make a dress using another as a pattern? What I mean is, I have just found in a charity shop a very simple yet lovely dress that fits PERFECTLY, and theres no brand label or anything to indicate where it came from and I would love another in a different colour or print. If I gave the dress and some more material to a dressmaker would he/she be able to reproduce it? And roughly roughly how much would it cost?

Mockingcurl Fri 19-Apr-13 22:29:01

My mother does this all the time. If she has something she really likes, she unpicks it and uses the pieces as a pattern template. This is particularly good if you find a pair of trousers that fit you well.

travailtotravel Fri 19-Apr-13 22:30:24

Oh yes, I had a fab dressmaker who did that for a pair of trousers for me - unpicked it, made a pattern from tracing/greaseproof paper so I'd always have it, then stitched it all back up for me.

I luffed her but I then moved. Darn it.

UniqueAndAmazing Fri 19-Apr-13 22:31:11

you can.
you can't guarantee it'll fit you as perfectly though as there is a lot more margin for error because your pattern has already been sewn.
but it can be done.

libertychick Fri 19-Apr-13 22:37:45

A friend of mine has recently found a dressmaker who has said she can do this - we are both planning to bring things into her and get a costing.

A relative of mine makes clothes and she charges quite a lot but she designs from scratch - you describe what you want and she comes up with a design - she also sources the material - she charged another relative about £150 to design and make a dress but said she would have charged someone else double that amount. I suspect it's hugely variable and will depend on complexity/time needed etc.

elQuintoConyo Fri 19-Apr-13 22:45:40

Oh yes, I do this a lot too - and with children's clothes.
I'm such a bloody odd shape that it's really handy!
Good luck!

BreastmilkCrucifiesAFabLatte Sun 21-Apr-13 12:26:48

Thank you!! I will have a ring round local dressmakers grin

stance Mon 22-Apr-13 08:27:12

You can expect to pay a fair amount, but a good dressmaker will make any dress look great on you because they are adapting to your own shape.

Here's a great video from David Coffin showing how to copy a shirt: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLCHj2mDFE

Penelope
https://spacehive.com/theforesthillfashionportal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now