Talk

Advanced search

Good foundation for photos?

(11 Posts)
RedBunny Thu 18-Apr-13 09:10:45

Hi I am looking for advice please! I am currently using revlon color stay foundation and I use whatever concealer is on offer in boots usually too. I don't have a huge budget which is why I buy from boots but I have some redness and oily skin and sometimes spots, can anyone recommend any good coverage and lasting foundations and/or concealers that are not crazy expensive and will look good in photos?? Im going to a wedding this weekend so want to look ok. At the moment I look ok in person (I think!) but my photos make my face look very pale....
Thank you!

ClaudiaCutie Thu 18-Apr-13 09:48:18

Try having a look at the Lisa Eldridge 'foundation course' series, she talks a bit in the 'my favourite foundations' about what is good for photos. Alas, she mostly recommends pricey ones. Basically any makeup without SPF is the key - anything with SPF causes flashback in pics and makes you look stone white. It's tricky. For budget choices for oily skin, try MUA Matte Foundation from Superdrug, that's £3 and very good as long as you use a mattifiying powder, it has no SPF. Or check out Collection 2000 long wear fdnt from Boots, that's very good and £6 I think but you'll need to check the SPF.

Saying all that ... the Revlon CS is a good fdtn for the money and only has SPF6, so that may be worth staying with and looking at what is causing the flashback (SPF moisturiser maybe?). For concealer the Collection 2000 liquidy stuff in a tube is great, suitable for oily skin and only about £3. Good luck, foundation trials can be expensive and hard work.

One option if you're feeling brave enough is to seek out some of the Eldridge reccs at a department store and ask for a sample. They should give you a 7 day sample which will give you enough for a trial and for the day of the wedding. You might find a new HG that'll do for the birthday gift list ...?

Anyway, enjoy the wedding!

RedBunny Thu 18-Apr-13 12:14:42

Thank you very much!!

amazinglightshow Thu 18-Apr-13 13:10:36

I'm also wondering this as my wedding is coming up. I usually use mineral make-up and love it - my skin is exactly like yours and the minerals don't irritate it. I've tried loads of different foundations since (EL DW, Revlon, Clinique) and am well and truly stumped! I hate the coverage and they all go orange on me (except for the Revlon, which goes smeary and too white hmm). Somebody on an old thread recommended Mac Studio Fix foundation and, by coincidence, I discovered a half-finished compact of this in an old handbag. I remember that I quite liked the coverage at the time, but I think the shade I have isn't quite right.

Does anyone know what the palest cool shade of Mac Studio Fix is called? Thanks! (sorry to hijack, OP!)

DoctorRobert Thu 18-Apr-13 13:18:25

I did my own make-up for my wedding and did loads of research online as to what looks best in photos.

In the end I opted for Lancome Teint Miracle foundation (apparently what Kate Middleton wore on her wedding day) - I think it's really good - decent coverage without being cakey.

Concealer wise I went for Benefit Boing.

Face looked good in photos - no white from the flash (despite the teint miracle being spf 15)

JonesH Thu 18-Apr-13 14:53:50

I would recommend this Christian Dior Foundation relatively inexpensive when I was paying around £16.00 in the past for no.7 and this has been far more effective, sometimes worth spending the money when it works wonders! Also doesn't feel too heavy on the skin, so it's a 'barely there' kind of makeup. Should also apply some powdered foundation on top to remove any shine, or apply some primer before applying any makeup. Will help aid in beautifying yourself!!

squoosh Thu 18-Apr-13 15:01:39

Whatever you do don't get Esteé Lauder's Double Wear, the spf it contaisn means that the flash will bounce back giving you a ghostly white face completely at odds with the rest of your body.

amazinglightshow Thu 18-Apr-13 17:11:45

Doctor, Teint Miracle sounds great BUT I have heard from friends that even the palest shade is too yellow-dark for super pale cool skin tones like mine sad sad I already have Benefit Boiing and will probably stick with that as a concealer.

Jones - the Christian Dior sounds really lovely and at first glance looks like there's a shade that might suit. I'm not sure if I really have the type of skin that can work 'barely there', though confused

God, the money I've spent on foundation over the years! It's the one thing I keep buying in the hope that there's some holy grail out there. When I finally find the one that suits me (mineral), it's the one that apparently gives you a big white face in pictures. Blah.

sorry again OP, I keep hijacking

squoosh Thu 18-Apr-13 17:22:11

If you have super pale skin you should try Nars Sheer Glow or one of the Ilmasqua bases. They are two of the very few companies who cater for very pale skin.

ClaudiaCutie Thu 18-Apr-13 17:55:01

StudioFix powder fdtn is great ... if you want to look like an overmadeup drag queen, and start the day off cream coloured and finsish the day orange; it oxides disgustingly on many people. Body Shop do a far better powder foundation IMO.

For super pale foundations, it's worth googling the phrase - this topic has been covered a lot by Eldridge, lots of YouTubers including the MUA Wayne Goss (I think?), and by the blogger Forever Amber. There's quite a big audience for the topic! There is more choice than you think, and it's growing all the time.

amazingface Fri 19-Apr-13 10:08:20

Thanks, Claudia, actually I just looked back through some old photos of me wearing the Studio Fix and I've no idea what I was on about earlier - I hated the coverage because I looked like a drag queen! And went orange after a few hours! Shudder.
There's some good analysis and dissection of pale foundations on the site www.beaut.ie

I like the sound of the Nars, squoosh. Lots of people also seem to like Bourgeois Healthy Mix.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now