Talk

Advanced search

Hair colouring - switching from foils to one colour at salon?

(11 Posts)
pippop1 Wed 17-Apr-13 22:54:39

My aim is to save money at my Aveda salon, but be able to have my hair dyed more frequently, or at least not to spend much more in total.

I have about 10% - 15% grey roots that show at the middle parting of my straight-haired bob style with fringe. I am also really short (slightly under five feet) so everyone sees the top of my head!

Currently I go to a lovely local Aveda salon and have my hair cut every 6 or 7 weeks. At every other haircut (so every 12 weeks or so) I also have it coloured using with foils and 3 Aveda colours plus some bits are missed out so that my own hair colour is incorporated IYSWIM. On the top the hairdresser dabs some of th colour too, to cover any stray gey bits. By the time I get to the 13 weeks to have it redyed there is too much grey showing (maybe a length of 3cm or so).

The times when I have it coloured (and cut too) costs £145 (Yeah I know). I can't spend £145 per six weeks.

I have asked my stylist (the salon's owner) if he could just colour the top bit (where the parting is) with foils or something every time I have it cut and pay just a little bit extra plus the price of the cut. He says no! I asked if I could use a wash in/wash out dye on the top bit inbetween salon colouring visits. He said that he wouldn't then colour my hair as it would have another product on it and give unpredictable results.

I really, really don't want to change salons and wondered what it would cost to have just one permanant colour put on every time I have it cut (rather than the foils which are v labour intensive). Is this a bad idea?

Any other suggestions? I know this is a trivial problem BTW.

olivertheoctopus Wed 17-Apr-13 23:08:57

Are you having a full head of foils each time?!? You can have full head, half head or just t-section which sounds like what you are after. If he's saying you HAVE to have a full section each time then he is taking the piss.

pippop1 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:14:44

Hi and thanks for replying. Yes, a full head of foils each time. It's quite a subtle effect (I like to think).

What's a T section? Is it the parting and the fringe? That's what I need.

Gorjuss Wed 17-Apr-13 23:21:20

There is no reason why they can't just do the parting and fringe. It's common practice in a lot of salons. I would ask the reason why not. If you go for a full head you will get a more obvious regrowth after just 3-4 weeks.

pippop1 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:32:03

Ah, the regrowth is worse with a full head!

I'll ask for the parting and fringe next time only then. If not maybe it's time for a reluctant change of salon Ive been going there for at least ten years, I'm a really good customer in my opinion.

Limoncellolovely Thu 18-Apr-13 09:40:22

Full head has hideous regrowth really quickly two weeks for me I use root touch up myself in between colours but is a complete pain. I have had highlights in the paste and only had full head maybe twice a year if that the rest of the time just a 'T' section as has been described. Definitely a stylist taking the p shock.

pippop1 Thu 18-Apr-13 12:17:34

Thanks everyone. I'm going to change to a diff salon if he won't do what I want. Now I have some amunition.

ItsintheBag Thu 18-Apr-13 12:45:32

I can't believe he told you no.
Most salons do the regrowth.You should be able to do a T bar- which is down the middle parting and down the front sides to the ears.
Or a half head.

Your a very good customer, I would not be impressed with his attitude at all.

Turquoiseblue Thu 18-Apr-13 22:17:53

Oh golly, I can't understand how they can't do t bar or 1/2 head, if you check your salon s web page and see if they have a price list or phone them and ask how much for t bar I bet you ll get your answer. I get full head every 6 months or so and in between t bar (with a few scattered underneath so when I tie my hair up in ponytail it won look like a 1/2 1/2 hairdo, or half head with a few scattered a/a. I e had this done in different salons (including aveda wink) so can't see how it could be in issue.
Good luck

pippop1 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:21:35

An update. I had an appointment and he agreed to do half a head of highlights with cut (usually have a whole head) for £72 and £46 for the cut.

Crucially, in the alternating appointment when usually I just have the cut he will colour in the parting and front of fringe for £25 (plus cut for £46) so in total over the year of about 8 haircuts I am spending a similar amount but having some colour every time so I'll only have 6 weeks regrowth showing and not 12 which is much more tolerable.

Result! (and thanks for giving me technical advice).

pippop1 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:31:35

I think he realised he was going to lose a good customer. I'd even been to another local salon the day before and had a patch test just in case I had to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now