Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Workwear for new job - so many questions!

(3 Posts)
amessagetoyouYoni Wed 17-Apr-13 13:40:11

I start a new job next week, my first (junior) management role in an education setting - and I need a new 'look'.

I have five suit dresses - 2 in black, one navy, one brown/beige patterned and one black with a kind of brick and mustard detail on it. I find dresses hard, as I am 5'11 and its difficult to find knee length dresses that are appropriate for work, but have found this lot, so feeling quite pleased.

I have two smart blazers - black and navy.

I have two pairs of comfortable but smart heeled shoes - black and nude/stone - and some smart black boots for colder days.

I have a couple of decent cashmere cardis in black and navy.

What else do I need?

I find separates a nightmare. I tried on about 10 different pairs of smart trousers this morning in Next and M&S and they all looked ghastly. I am limited to which shops I can buy trews in because of my height. I NEVER know what tops to buy, either. I am a size 12 and generally quite slenderly built BUT have a bit of a tum/csection overhang and large norks, so shirts and blouses make me look frumpy and any short-in-the-body tops just look totally wrong.

Also - shoes. I have no idea what other shoes I might need, especially as the weather (hopefully) gets warmer. I find so many styles uncomfortable and also cant go higher than mid-heel or I end up looking like Rupaul.

....and finally - any good tights recommendations? I need some good quality tights, probably nude (do you think?) for my dress/heels combos.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Really excited but nervous about my new role and just want to start off looking good and feeling comfortable!

scarredpierced Wed 17-Apr-13 14:03:40

This probably won't be relevant for a while but worth mentioning is a nice set of gloves, nothing worse than getting out your knitted gloves with faces on in front of clients blush. A nice scarf may be appropriate too.

For tights, I like to go to Wolford for a decent pair or M&S for every day pairs. House of Fraser tend to have a decent selection too.

Shoes I'd go M&S too or Clarks or if you are wanting to splash cash a bit Carvela. A pair of flat boots are lovely for the winter months. Or you could use a pair of boots just for commuting and have a more appropriate pair under your desk?

I'm not too sure on trousers or your budget but for trousers try Hobbs or suit companies?

suebfg Wed 17-Apr-13 14:31:23

You need some decent bags, jewellery and little cardigans to go over your dresses to add colour and variety.

M&S Insolia shoes are fab for work and their nude tights (7 denier) are fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now