Talk

Advanced search

Does a stylish yet comfortable summer sandal type shoe exist? Alternative to flip flops

(20 Posts)
wetsand Wed 17-Apr-13 12:56:41

'stylish yet comfortable' may be an oxymoron.

I would like a shoe/sandal in between flip fops and heeled strappy day sandals. Comfy enough to walk a mile to school in. Does such a thing exist? Do you have any recommendations?

Rockchick1984 Wed 17-Apr-13 13:24:36

I tend to wear gladiator type sandals, flip flops feel too much like beach wear for me!

snowgal Wed 17-Apr-13 14:38:49

I love the Merrell range of summer sandals, they are super comfortable and don't look granny-ish. I have a pair similar to this

foxysocks Wed 17-Apr-13 14:48:48

i just got a pair of sam edelman gigis. they have a padded sole and a little strap around the back so they are a bit more held on than normal flipflops, and smarter too. haven't worn them on the school run yet but am planning on it when it warms up....

wetsand Wed 17-Apr-13 15:00:35

Hm, something more supportive than the sam edelman gigis but perhaps a little prettier than the Merrells.. I'm also wary of straps around the ankle emphasising my cankles!

TheYoniOfYawn Wed 17-Apr-13 15:06:08

A pair of the prettier Birkinstocks?

MrsBungle Wed 17-Apr-13 15:09:11

I think the one strap birkenstocks are nice I live in them in the Summer

I find them very comfortable.

HolyMackerel Wed 17-Apr-13 15:10:34

I got some lovely "walking" sandals from TK Maxx last summer - could be worth a try in there? They're green strappy and v v comfy, can't remember the make sorry but TK Maxx tend to be good for this sort of thing!

GreenShadow Wed 17-Apr-13 15:14:13

TKMaxx were selling quite a lot of Earth Spirit sandals last summer - was it this kind of thing HolyMackerel

spooktrain Wed 17-Apr-13 15:16:42

You could have a look at El Naturalista. They are MUCH nicer in the flesh, I promise and there are loads of different colours and styles

Gillybobs Wed 17-Apr-13 15:20:26

No pointing and laughing please, Ive just bought these Liberty Print sandals from Clarks. They have a specially cushioned insole, they feel amazing on, I swear I could walk miles in them (have bought them for trip to NYC so I bloomin better be able to walk miles in them)

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20354420

wetsand Wed 17-Apr-13 15:21:25

Something like this, but not metallic..? www.clarks.co.uk/p/20343902

Love these. Rather expensive so would hope they'd last?

Lotus sandals there are different colours of this one. I love Lotus and can vouch for the comfort.

More.

Plumpcious Wed 17-Apr-13 15:54:03

I've found Moshulu sandals comfortable.

HolyMackerel Wed 17-Apr-13 16:12:27

GreenShadow I have just had a look they are Karrimor - this sort of thing but not quite as chunky in green. Look a lot nicer on than that picture suggests and as comfy as trainers.

They look nice Plumpcious. No store near to me have you bought them online before? Wondering what the sizes are like?

DewDr0p Wed 17-Apr-13 18:20:08

Last summer I had some floral print one-strap Birkenstocks which definitely fulfilled the comfy part of your brief - not sure if they are stylish enough?

I also have some ancient wedges which are surprisingly comfortable. I do the school run in them anyway!

wetsand Wed 17-Apr-13 21:05:35

Love some of the moshulu sandals!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now