Talk

Advanced search

come and help me achieve my capsule work wardrobe

(11 Posts)
Nanabana Wed 17-Apr-13 10:44:14

I've been living in primark and new look-eque clothing and shoes for the last few years, (going back to work after maternity leave.. changing body shape etc, so used to just grab whatever off the shelf),whereas I work alongside polished women who wear laboutins every day. Have decided to get my act together.
I tend to rotate only a few items of clothing anyway out of laziness not having the time to go through my wardrobe every day, so I am confident I can do the capsule thing quite easily.. I just want the clothing to be a bit more stylish and better quality (am thinking high-end high st stuff).

So I've seen a pair of good quality ballet pumps in Jones (cant do heels), so will start with those.

Next i want to get myself 3 pairs of trousers, in black, navy and grey. I usually end up with wide legged trousers (which make me look even more short and fat), or I get skinny trousers.. which make me look like a little girl.
I would like to find straight legged trousers in natural but durable fabrics. Anyone know of any out there at the moment? I'm 5ft 2, and am a size 10/12 pear shape.

I also plan to get myself a real pashmina, i think that might help create the quality look i'm trying to achieve..

Not sure about what to do in terms of tops yet.. I have large-ish boobs, and I like to cover my backside.. want neutral colours/designs, seeing as i'll only be interchanging a few tops at a time.

have discovered that I already own few accessories that I can add to finish the look

Nanabana Wed 17-Apr-13 13:33:31

Just been in monsoon, saw a pair of trousers that come in black or navy.. look smart, crease down middle (that i'll probably iron out over time..).
The material is made up of polyester, acrylic, and viscose however (i'm sure it said elastine too).... that can't be good right?
I really dont know how to keep smart black trousers looking black, and looking smart. Any tips on good fabrics and how to look after, and would be most welcome.. thanks

AndWhenYouGetThere Wed 17-Apr-13 13:59:07

No advice at all, but bumping for you as I'm trying to do the same!

Nanabana Wed 17-Apr-13 14:53:59

Thanks! I've googled black trousers, and it seems to be a problem not just for me... i'm not alone at least! I saw this blog in the Guardian.. not sure I like the black trousers from the pic.
www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/fashion-blog/2011/oct/20/invisible-woman-black-trousers-older-women

foxysocks Wed 17-Apr-13 14:56:30

me & em have some lovely cigarette trousers in navy and black. i think jigsaw have some too.

Nanabana Wed 17-Apr-13 15:31:52

thanks, had a look at me and em.. do you mean the ankle length trousers?

foxysocks Wed 17-Apr-13 15:42:05

yes those ones where the model is doing a weird jumpy thing? i think they are lovely, if I had an office job would buy em for sure!

Nanabana Wed 17-Apr-13 15:43:15

lol how does she do that with hands still in pocket and knees straight? Yes trhey are nice, but i'm thinking i might be too short for those to look good

shopalot Wed 17-Apr-13 15:54:34

Do you need to wear trousers? I find trousers the hardest thing to buy and I think if you are short and you want to cover your backside you would need heels to make it work. Depends how smart you need to be and your budget. I think a knee length skirt with flats and a shirt can look more expensive and would be more flattering. But would that be practical for your job?

Nanabana Wed 17-Apr-13 16:33:14

I also have unattractive legs, so avoid skirts. I see what you mean about needing heels too, I just hate wearing them to work, will take me an age to get anywhere

slug Wed 17-Apr-13 16:51:05

take your heels to work in a bag and change when you are there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now