Talk

Advanced search

Cos - what am I doing wrong?

(15 Posts)
HellonHeels Wed 17-Apr-13 09:32:32

I like Cos clothes but never find anything there that suits me. I'm fat (s 16; 5' 7") hourglass shape / big boobs.

What am I doing wrong? Or do I just need to accept it's not for me?

niminypiminy Wed 17-Apr-13 10:29:42

I like Cos too, and am your kind of shape but shorter. I think the key is to choose carefully. I really rate their trousers -- have two pairs of side zip flat front slim leg trousers (side zip = sooo flattering), and a pair of crepe wide legs, plus some fine-knit merino knitwear and a drapey top.

I tend to stay away from their skirts and anything boxy made out of crisp fabric, and anything shift-dress shaped. Mind you, I have an acid yellow dress from cos that is all the wrong shape for me, but which I bought because I love the colour and it was only fifteen pounds, and wear it with a wide elastic belt and a lavender cardigan.

I think their clothes can work on us shapely women, but you have to ignore the pictures of the coat-hanger-y models and the way they are styled.

libertychick Wed 17-Apr-13 12:58:46

I find Cos difficult too - have to go to the shop and try things on - even stuff you think won't suit at first glance. I have big hips and thighs and some things that look like they would be quite clingy are surprisingly flattering. Go on a day when you feel good about yourself! I have left the shop feeling dreadful when I try on several things and none suit!

libertychick Wed 17-Apr-13 12:59:54

Oh and their sizing is all over the place so ignore the labels to some extent. I have things from Cos in sizes small, medium and large!!

Icedcakeandflower Wed 17-Apr-13 15:20:15

I have the same problem. I love love love the look of Cos clothes and decided to splash out on 5 items last year, and had to return them all sad.

I'm 5'7 and size 10 "straight", and yet nothing looked good on me sad sad. I don't know what I'm doing wrong either.

So I've stopped looking and stopped subscribing to their newsletter.

HellonHeels Wed 17-Apr-13 19:16:28

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll have another look at the trousers, always avoided those because they looked cut for narrow-hipped people.

icedcake I thought your shape, size and height was the Cos ideal. Oh dear!

I had given up looking at anything but the jewellery (which is fab) but have had a good run recently and bought a jumper and some trousers, both of which are absolutely perfect - classics with an edge, I guess they'd be described as and I am v pleased. I plan to go back v soon and try on some of the stranger and more shapeless stuff, just to see if anything magical happens!

Oh I'm a size 12, short-arsed hourglass with stupid big bobs.

Levantine Wed 17-Apr-13 20:16:52

Accessories and jewellery are amazing

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 17-Apr-13 20:17:48

Yes, you definitely have to go in. I too have sizings in all different things from there. Most of my work stuff is from there; simple but with a little twist. I tend to size up for the trousers. My black work ones are from there and I'm normally a 12 but these are a 14. I have shirts in 12s to 14s too.

Although the assistants all look like aloof art students at ours they were actually very sweet and helpful. There was a woman in the changing room next to me with a very 'helpful' toddler buying her 'back to work' wardrobe and they amused said LO for quite a while for her while she grappled with the unpredictable sizings too.

I agree that the accessories are fab. I buy scarves from there regularly (my most recent a very bright orange one) and I'm always being asked where I've bought them. Had a acidy yellow woollen one last winter too that's showing its age now but only as I wore it practically every day.

motherinferior Wed 17-Apr-13 20:18:53

Last time I went into Cos I came out weeping grinEvery single garment made me look completely grotesque. Honestly I cried.

Am short and bosomy. Not grotesque. Really.

snoworneahva Wed 17-Apr-13 21:39:06

I am size 10, 5ft 8 and curvy....they don't cut clothes for large boobs....or hips. I've managed to find one top and I think I might have tried on over 100 garments....

CointreauVersial Thu 18-Apr-13 22:40:23

I can't do Cos either.

Notonaschoolnight Fri 19-Apr-13 15:08:32

This is music to my ears I'm 5'7 and a size 15(if it existed) j bought a ton of size 16 from cos and the lot went back I'm hourglass too(ok waist slightly too thick) and the dresses were too big on top and tight on bottom so they're made for triangles!!

Icedcakeandflower Fri 19-Apr-13 15:12:22

grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now