Talk

Advanced search

The old chestnut: what shoes with skinny jeans in Springtime?

(41 Posts)
MorrisZapp Wed 17-Apr-13 09:21:30

I'm ancient (42) and a recent convert to skinny jeans. Boot cuts all went to charity, all my bridges are burned.

I found that all winter, my skinnies were great tucked into boots. Then in the warmer weather, they're fab with little pumps.

But what about all these Spring days when it's rainy out there, potentially a bit chilly, but not cold enough for boots? My default 'covered shoes' used to be trainers, but I can't wear them with skinnies, I'm short and a size 14.

Is there a middle way? What is it? Help meeeeeee.....

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 17-Apr-13 09:31:20

I am even more ancient and have the same question.

What do you reckon to loafer/moccasinny things?

WildRumpus Wed 17-Apr-13 09:32:53

Have you tried shoe-boots? I find a wedge heel easy to walk in. Or converse type canvas trainers? Brogues are very fashionable. They don't suit me but worth trying. I've just bought a very cheap pair of ballet pumps (£7). That way I won't get too stressed if I get caught in rain and they get trashed.

niceupthedance Wed 17-Apr-13 09:32:56

Wedge trainers? Height and comfort.

cleangreens Wed 17-Apr-13 09:33:04

Converse All Stars (I'm 47 btw)
Superga?
Vans

All a variation on the same theme though it has to be said

MorrisZapp Wed 17-Apr-13 09:33:40

I could do loafers, but are socks required? That might look a bit ropy. But with bare ankles, I'd be as well to wear my pumps. I think socks are the key actually. I want to wear sock-possible shoes, I think.

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 17-Apr-13 09:34:13

I have superga pumps for casual. But I have to go to a "do" soon, so will need shoes...and am nearly 6ft so can't do wedges.

Will it have to be a ballerina? I think it prob will.

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 17-Apr-13 09:34:49

I want to wear socks as well, but I think then we might look like British man in his sandals.

MorrisZapp Wed 17-Apr-13 09:35:06

Converse and Vans, I do like.

swavesey Wed 17-Apr-13 09:35:36

I'm the same age as you and thought the exact same thing at the weekend. Have decided I'm going to get myself something similar to All Stars (trainers) and wear trainer socks inside them.

Iamcountingto3 Wed 17-Apr-13 09:37:12

converse & trainer socks here...

foxysocks Wed 17-Apr-13 09:37:21

are all trainers out? I wear them constantly in the spring and have a few different styles on rotation. eg leather hi tops, canvas low tops, sporty new balance style etc. are they all too casual for your lifestyle or do you not like them for another reason?

smaller ankle boots work well too i think, like the ash jalouse style ones. covered but not big and bulky.

comelywenchlywoo Wed 17-Apr-13 09:38:13

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I think it will be hard to find a shoe you can wear with socks and skinnies unless you want to go very "high fashion" and wear socks with loafers. I think it would need to be a high-top trainer or shoe boots like Wild suggests.

How about high-top cons?

Scrazy Wed 17-Apr-13 09:39:31

I never know what to wear either with skinnies. I'm older than you and only 5ft 2 so cannot wear ballet pumps or converse, to small. I am in heele boots today, still.

pantsjustpants Wed 17-Apr-13 09:42:28

I like converse or shoe boots at this time of year. Although today I have ankle boots and I quite like them, and I wasn't sure I would.

CambridgeBlue Wed 17-Apr-13 09:43:44

I have this problem every year and usually end up in Converse which I love but am a bit bored of. I've just bought a pair of lighter ankle boots though and am giving them a try - seen a lot of the fashion blog ladies wearing them with skinnies or rolled up boyfriend jeans or chinos and they look good. I suspect I will not carry it as well as they do though...

HousewifeFromHeaven Wed 17-Apr-13 09:47:42

Yes I'm a 14 and 5'4 so short and curvy (!) I wear converse in this weather, pumps if it's a liitle warmer and then wedges or Birkenstock in the heat

freddiefrog Wed 17-Apr-13 09:48:20

I'm wearing tan ankle boots, Ash Thelma wedges, Converse or brogues with skinnies at the moment.

I wear socks with the ankle boots and Thelmas, although I fold them right down so they don't show

HousewifeFromHeaven Wed 17-Apr-13 09:48:40

Oh I've also got a pair of ankle boots too but they're suede and can't be worn in the rain

foxysocks Wed 17-Apr-13 09:50:35

yes i wear trainers socks or socks rolled right down (with ankle boots or high tops0 so you can't see them. i can't go sock-less when it's still so cold.

Ledkr Wed 17-Apr-13 09:53:51

I usually swap to straight leg without boots. I always feel like Russell brand in shoes and skinnys.

HousewifeFromHeaven Wed 17-Apr-13 10:25:00

I've just ordered these to go with my lighter wardrobe. They'll see me through to the very very very hot summer!

milkwasabadchoice Wed 17-Apr-13 10:30:27

Converse
Ankle boots
Brogues

I just wear ordinary socks. I don't bare me ankles till its properly warm.

LittleMachine Wed 17-Apr-13 10:45:36

I have boots similar to Housewife. I also wear my Converse (the hi-top kind) most at this time of year.

MarshaBrady Wed 17-Apr-13 10:46:43

I have switched to ballet flats. But on colder / wetter days go back to ankle boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now