Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

More tan loafers!!

(21 Posts)
polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 17:37:41

Have been wanting some tan loafers. Saw the Clarks ones posted earlier today which are nice but I already have several (non-tan) loafers in that sort of style.

Any views please on these:

www.sarenza.co.uk/geox-d-grin-e-s654-p0000028432

I know Geox are super comfortable and have been pleased with various flat shoes I've bought there in past.

But just wondering:

i) if the tan on these - actually called 'Camel' - is somehow too light?

ii) whether the punching detail is: a) a nice 'different' touch or
b) frumpy?

TIA.

poozlepants Tue 16-Apr-13 17:49:02

I'm after a pair of tan loafers and do tend towards the orthopaedic but dear god No!

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 20:12:58

OK. My own fears seem to be confirmed there.
Anyone want to argue for them???

rosie17 Tue 16-Apr-13 20:24:35

speachless shock

FrancesFarmer Tue 16-Apr-13 20:29:43

They're middle aged whereas the Clarks ones are geek chic.

The moulded soles make them frumpy somehow.

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 20:37:35

Yes yes see what you mean. Wouldn't myself actually go so far as to call the Clarks ones chic - theyre too ordinary for that IMO - but they are certainly acceptable and agree Geox ones to be avoided.

Only a pity that it's the soles that actually make them comfortable !

Btw dont some Tods have moulded soles - must check just for my own satisfaction.

FrancesFarmer Tue 16-Apr-13 20:42:50

Yes, they remind me of Tod's actually.

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 20:45:48

Ah interesting Have always thought of Geox as among other things a cheaper Tods.
Would you write off the whole of Tods as middle aged too?

FrancesFarmer Tue 16-Apr-13 21:05:16

What I mean is that they're not a youthful style and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Tods-type loafers can look ok if the rest of your outfit is classic and and you are very groomed e.g:

A similar style on Ines de la Fressange (left)

I'm not so sure about the pics below of Diana and Gwyneth Paltrow - are they a bit too "sloaney"/dull? (Sorry - the link is in Italian but all you need are the photos).

Tods worn by Diana and Gwyneth Paltrow

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 21:45:16

No problem look forward to looking. I'm very Italianophile - speak and read the language and was there I first got interested in Tods -and Geox.

slipshodsibyl Tue 16-Apr-13 21:55:24

I like Tod's but have recently bought tan loafers at
Russell and Bromley. They have several styles but I only liked one which is quite Tod-like

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 21:59:41

Yes my tastes definitely run to R and B and Tods rather than Clarks!
Guess I do like that classic/timeless look as in Ines though wouldnt claim to have her effortless style or her figure!

ggirl Tue 16-Apr-13 22:03:52

I like them except for the punching detail , I agree with the right outfit the Tod style looks good and tbh I am 50 and I am bloody middle aged but middle aged looking doesn't always mean frumpy . I prefer to think of middle age as time to embrace the classics grin

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 22:49:09

Agree with you there ggirl - though often like to introduce something a bit quirky/ with a twist as well, eg through scarf or necklace.

To sum up , I don't think I'm misguided to like some of the Tods-alike styles in Geox - or to like some Tods - but the punching doesn't work on that pair (plus I tthink a darker more 'classic' tan not that 'camel' is better).

polyhymnia Tue 16-Apr-13 23:05:54

Btw slipshod what was the name of the style you chose at R and B as I'd like to check them out on their site.

slipshodsibyl Wed 17-Apr-13 12:53:00

I bought' Pro-drive ' as they are very soft for some city walking I shall shortly be doing but the 'Grand' look more like the Geox ones.

polyhymnia Wed 17-Apr-13 13:08:26

Thanks - just off to my local shops which have a R and B so very timely. Will check them out.

I too want them for city walking, both in London where I live and for trips abroad.

polyhymnia Wed 17-Apr-13 15:27:12

slipshod, I had a look at those Pro-Drive on the website and liked them best of the tan R and B ones too. The bow feature is actually very like not only some Tods but a Geox pair I already have, though not in tan. But my local shop doesn't have them.

They did have Grand, but those aren't to my taste at all - IMO, they are just too classic - to the point of boring - with their metal trim. Admittedly both Tods and Geox still have plenty of loafers with that trim (though not the style in my OP, in fact) but I find them a bit dull now.

Did also see the Clarks ones - they're pretty but very low-cut and ballerina-like and I already have enough ballerinas.

Will continue search tomorrow at Covent Garden in the R and B and the Geox (for non-punched styles).

slipshodsibyl Wed 17-Apr-13 15:33:18

I actually bought the pro drive in Covent Garden four weeks ago and also saw some in the high at Kensington branch of R and B

slipshodsibyl Wed 17-Apr-13 15:33:48

High street Kensington I mean

polyhymnia Wed 17-Apr-13 15:34:51

Thanks - the Covent Garden one is a favourite of mine. My very local one (Richmond) has rather limited stock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: