Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help on how to dress post babies

(7 Posts)

My dd is3 & my DS has just turned 1. I'm overweight & struggle to lose it until I've stopped breastfeeding (with dd not a lb came off until I was down to two feeds a day).

My weight, as it's around my tummy, bothers me & asi used to be a 12-14 & I'm now a 16-18 I just don't know how to dress. I had a relatively high powered job which I quit to have a family & haven't woh in 3 1/2 years.

DH noticed that I'm having some confidence issues & has ordered me to treat myself. I normally pick up something at Sainsbury every now & then.

I've told him I was putting it off until I lost weight & he's said not to be silly, he wants me to buy some clothes to make me feel good now. Then get more if I decide to lose weight.

He's a very kind & sensible man, but...I have literally no idea what will suit mr. No idea where to start.

Ill have £250 ish, help!

dozily Mon 15-Apr-13 20:58:34

What's your style like usually and which shops do you usually buy from?

I'm pretty clueless too but hoping someone else will be along to help you smile

Minshu Mon 15-Apr-13 21:48:24

I don't know how to help, but I love the fact your DH "ordered" you to treat yourself grin

Designjunkie Mon 15-Apr-13 22:11:53

What a thoughtful husband you have. Lucky you!
I always find a new haircut makes me feel renewed, especially after something as big as having children. Also, new make up from somewhere like Space NK or a swish department store is a good confidence boost. For clothes how about starting with some new accessories like a great scarf, handbag or shoes ? These can brighten up your existing wardrobe and will feel like a treat. www.mywardrobe.com is nice or if budget is a constraint Zara and Whistles do nice accessories. I don't know where you are but most department stores in London will do something to suit your style and budget.

I'm in the depths of the SW of England & will have to pop in to my local town for a quick fix.

I'm fairly casual, I live in flats or wedges on a good day. My style confused I guess it's always been varied, but now I need practical, not too girly but don't do hoodies etc. I guess I identify with the White Stuff kind of look, but am pretty flexible.

Basically I need a pair if jeans that will fit nicely & some idea of how to dress for my body shape. Are there services for this?

I do need a haircut, would love to try something new, but I know that my current style does suit my face. But I feel in a rut.

I have so many bags/scarves etc as I've being doing this a a quick 'size doesn't matter' fix for ages now. But thank you for the suggestion.

I don't really wear much make up, I wear foundation, blusher, mascara, every day. No lippy, eyeshadow or liner. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong, but I don't feel like me if I'm done up.

I guess I want a kick up the bum & advice on how to dress for my shape.

Yes I am lucky, despite a few wobbles recently he is lovely & I love him. Just clawing my way out of a pit of PND despair.

Designjunkie Mon 15-Apr-13 23:01:29

I should have said well done for losing the weight. Sorry to hear you feel so down about this. I can only speak from my own experience but you are not alone. Kids will zap the life from you, but it will get better. Your husband is right about the clothes. It makes such a difference.
I don't know any wardrobe experts but try to draw attention to a feature you love. Bright jeans are smarter than denim but if it is denim you want, go for very dark straight legged styles as they are slimming and elongate the legs. Maybe avoid large patterns and horizontal stripes on your top half and the current trend for peplums (look crap on everyone) and colour blocking.

Comptoir des cottoniers are casual and stylish and are online
Toast do nice, casual clothes. http://www.toast.co.uk
www.thewhitecompany.co.uk
Whistles clothing is safe but fashionable and they size large so I always buy a smaller size.

DewDr0p Mon 15-Apr-13 23:22:22

Your dh is absolutely right OP. I sympathise wholeheartedly - I was a very odd shape while bfing, not my usual self at all and didn't go back to normal until I had pretty much stopped. But some well-fitting clothes will make a big difference.

Do you have a department store anywhere near you? A personal shopper might be just the thing to make the most of your budget (free service, no pressure to buy and they will find styles to suit you, know their stock well, pick out things to try you wouldn't have thought of etc) dressipi has some advice on dressing for your shape too.

I find a slightly higher rise jean than I might have chosen pre-dcs makes a huge difference to how I look and feel - does wonders for a wobbly tum. Tell us more about your body shape and perhaps we can suggest some things?

Hope you can find some great stuff to help you feel more like the real you again. PND is the absolute pits (have a little hug while noone's looking)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now