Talk

Advanced search

Help! Only have 2 more days to use up a Matches credit!

(14 Posts)
Mominatrix Mon 15-Apr-13 18:06:12

I have a credit at Matches which expires in two days, and am on the fence about how to spend it. Not crazy about many things out there, but am obsessed about this dress. What do you ladies think - worth the splurge, or something which I won't be able to wear more than one season. I'd love to get some perspective as I really am quite torn!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Apr-13 18:08:00

That dress is unique enough to have longevity I'd have thought.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Apr-13 18:08:17

Have you tried it on in RL?

It's gorgeous but obscenely expensive for something so memorable imho. If I was paying that much (yeah right!), I'd want something that I could wear in a zillion different ways without everybody knowing I was wearing that same old dress again tbh.

Mominatrix Mon 15-Apr-13 18:12:47

No - the other thing which is holding me back, but I assume that returning the dress if it does not fit well would prolong the credit?

Remus, that is precisely why I have not pressed the purchase button - it really is something which is difficult to wear often for the same group. On the other hand, in a couple years, I could pull it out again and it would become a conversation piece?

Mominatrix Mon 15-Apr-13 18:14:10

Gah - the no was about trying it on!

But tastes and bodies change, I think. Personally, I'd find a far cheaper statement dress and buy that plus a more neutral basic one.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Apr-13 18:48:35

Does the credit cover the cost of the dress? I'd be tempted to get a handbag for that sort of money or could you buy a giftcard with it?

Mominatrix Mon 15-Apr-13 19:24:35

The credit covers a bit more than half of the dress, which is why I am considering it (the credit is part mine and part a chip in by AM Ex) - like half off!

DOn't know about a gift card - I think that I can't do that, and handbags - I am boring and stick to a label they don't carry.

santamarianovella Mon 15-Apr-13 20:15:56

It's not worth it in my opinion,but how about an Alexander McQueen dress?the spine dress is a classic.
I like this www.matchesfashion.com/product/137756
And this, www.matchesfashion.com/product/137767
Or how about shoes? They have an amazing selection of shoes.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 15-Apr-13 20:22:42

I think that dress personifies the biggest problem I have with designer dresses - it looks like a dress that could be easily copied and looks very 'one season' and 'fashionable'. If it was hand painted and exquisitely made then maybe but it's not going to be for 900 quid.

There's some lovely DVF dresses on there for £350 - do you have enough of those?

That first AM is gorgeous. The second is...erm...not. smile

santamarianovella Mon 15-Apr-13 21:26:51

remus i love the orange dress! i have a couple of events in summer and would love to buy it. but its a bit over my budget.

Mominatrix Mon 15-Apr-13 22:30:53

Thank you for the suggestions santamarianovella. I have a wardrobe full of tasteful, classic dresses so was looking to get something different. Those dresses are fantastic - but not sure they would really suit me (at the the orange one wouldn't). I'm 5'2", early 40s, oriental, and slim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now