Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about exfoliation - scrub, mask, muslin cloths...what's best?

(9 Posts)
Ogooglebar Mon 15-Apr-13 16:54:47

What are the benefits of a scrub with bits in over just cleansing with a muslin cloth?

Are exfoliating masks like Elemis Papaya Enzyme cream as effective as 'mechanical' exfoliation?

I have dry skin which gets a layer of flaky dead skin cells very quickly and I need to know how best to get rid of them on a regular basis (without flaying my whole face off or breaking the bank.)

NomDeOrdinateur Mon 15-Apr-13 17:12:12

I'm a big fan of this for chemical exfoliation, as it gives me the brightest and most even complexion I've ever had and is less of a faff than using an at-home peel solution. You do need to use a sunscreen if you go down that route though - I like this as it's very moisturising but not greasy, and the price is excellent.

I also use a microdermabrasion cloth from ebay very gently, once per week or so - any more and I find that my skin gets sore.

Really though, the most important thing is to address the causes of your dry skin rather than just sloughing it off - using a more effective moisturiser (e.g. Avene Skin Recovery Cream), increasing your water intake, cutting down on caffeine, and eating more oily fish will probably do you more good than anything else we can recommend.

Ogooglebar Mon 15-Apr-13 17:20:19

Unfortunately I just have naturally dry skin - I drink loads of water, eat loads of olive oil and oily fish, only have a couple of cups of tea a day, don't smoke...not sure what else I can do!

I have some really good moisturisers, the thing I want to sort out now is exfoliation, cos when I get that right the moisturiser works better and my skin looks all dewy instead of flaky and dull.

Thanks for the links Nom, will look at them when I get home smile

NomDeOrdinateur Mon 15-Apr-13 19:31:26

Oh that's a shame - naturally dry skin must be a real nuisance if you wear make-up! The only other thing that might help, if you haven't tried it already, is washing your face with water only in the morning and an oil (I use cold-pressed coconut or grapeseed oil) at night - my skin went from very oily to extremely dry in my late teens, and that was the only thing that brought it into "normal" territory.

Hope the links help - I am so impressed with that glycolic night treatment, and even my very unobservant DH noticed a big difference when I started using it. The Bravura Dermaflannel (and equivalent cloths from ebay) can be very good at removing flaky skin, but IME it's very easy to overdo it by accident whereas the night cream is very gentle as long as you use it sparingly.

BadSpellersUntie Mon 15-Apr-13 19:46:58

Try a clarisonic to cleanse.

takeaway2 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:10:51

I've just gone on those websites and damn I think I will be ordering the 30% peel! I have acne scarring which has faded but still quite obvious. I turn 40 in a few months. It'll be good to look better!! Thanks!

Iwantmybed Mon 15-Apr-13 20:17:15

I have oily skin but still exfoliate every day. I use a facial exfoliating sponge from bodycare and an olive oil soap (gift from France, not sure what ill do when it runs out). It freshens my skin, foundation goes on easier. I don't do it too hard though.

LadyMountbatten Mon 15-Apr-13 20:18:22

i like the no7 one
i hate no7

Ogooglebar Mon 15-Apr-13 20:26:27

Ha LadyM, I hate No7 too, I'll check it out smile

Thanks all for the suggestions. It is a pain Nom, I have it all over and get really itchy in winter (yuk). Luckily I don't need much foundation and use really light, moisturising ones. I don't know what it is but my skin just doesn't hold onto any moisture. I have a very fast metabolism which could have something to do with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now