Talk

Advanced search

How to do 'pale' well?

(15 Posts)
YoniMitchell Mon 15-Apr-13 11:16:01

Hi there, I've decided to ditch the fake tan this year as it's faff I could do without (and I've never got on with those gradual tanning moisturisers). So now I need to work out what I need to do to make my natural look work for me!

My skin is pale (not quite 'blue') with freckles. It's also very dry, so I sometimes suffer with that pimply-look on my thighs and upper arms (although they can feel smooth).

Obviously good, regular exfoliation and moisturising is key - any other tips? What products would you recommend (or otherwise) to ensure soft skin and even tones on arms and legs (want to banish lizard-skin and dry, pink knees!)?

champagnesupernova Mon 15-Apr-13 11:18:30

<lurk>

TheYoniKeeper Mon 15-Apr-13 11:25:31

Invest in a very good body brush. One with adequately stiff bristles. Brush away from the heart when you're brushing & try to do it a few times a week. It makes a surprisingly obvious difference smile

I have the same sort of complexion so I know exactly what you mean!

The gradual tan moisturizers are very good as they require little effort and look very natural!

Not sure about the pink knees but I suppose just keeping them as smooth & moisturized as possible is your best bet smile

TheYoniKeeper Mon 15-Apr-13 11:28:45

(when you're using the brush in that way it works with your circulation & helps stimulate it & encourages regeneration of cells etc as well as helping even the overall texture out, which really helps with that pimply look)!

milktraylady Mon 15-Apr-13 11:41:37

A great product for dry bumpy skin is Palmers coca butter body lotion- the Green bottle with fruit AHAs.

I have tried other ones, but keep coming back to this one.

Smells nice, absorbs fast (great in the morning in a rush), just the right amount of AHA so the bumps disappear in a few days. grin

YoniMitchell Mon 15-Apr-13 12:01:39

Thanks for this.

I've been using the Sanctuary Spa Hot Sugar Scrub in the shower - would a brush work better than this?

I've also been using Dove moisturiser for dry skin, but that can feel quite clammy and heavy so will try to Palmers in the green bottle.

Anyone tried Weleda oil?

I'm hoping that the exfoliation and moisturising will sort the pink knees out! Now I just need to pick a summer wardrobe that works with pale skin!

Bonsoir Mon 15-Apr-13 12:03:32

Use a moisturising shower cream with extra lubricants and a synthetic loofah glove.

TheYoniKeeper Mon 15-Apr-13 12:08:48

The brush/a proper glove would be more 'powerful' if you see what I mean smile

If my skin's dead dry I actually do a bit of both, alternating through the week.

I sound like a lizard woman but it does help, I promise grin

(P.S LOVE the sanctury stuff. Works well & smells great!)

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Mon 15-Apr-13 12:09:57

I think it's No7 who do a good leg make-up, it's great, just evens the skintone without looking false like fake tan.

ToastedTeacakes Mon 15-Apr-13 12:23:20

Stay in the UK, you can probably guarantee that you won't have to worry about baring any flesh in this climate, for when the weather warms up it will rain until October, so no need to fret!

Jokes aside, I wonder about this also, every summer, but we generally only get one week where it's safe or sensible to throw out the opaques, so experience had taught me not to stress too much. I like the idea of the Boots leg makeup but fear that it will behave like a fake tan anyway and form in patches around my ankle bones.

I did use a Dove moisturizer last year that had a tiny bit of sparkle to it, not tanner, but quite nice. It didn't make me look any less pale though, so if you are going to embrace the whiteness, you might as well just throw caution to the wind and go for it, warts and all.

Or hope for rain.

Curtsey Mon 15-Apr-13 12:37:57

Don't waste any more money on body scrubs. They've never worked for me. You need to get fairly vigorous with a brush or gloves in the shower. You can pick up those cheapy gloves anywhere and foam up any old shower gel.

L'occitane do a nice 'shimmery' body moisturiser, though, for special days - it's this one. It's nice but tbh you have to look closely to see the shimmer. So I would just moisturise with Aveeno. It's the best for dry skin. There are other products but Aveeno is the best all-rounder so you may as well go straight to it!

If the weather ever does get warm enough to bare your legs, try mixing a bit of your face foundation with some body cream and applying it to your legs. That'll even out your skin without looking too fake. Otherwise, the Garnier gradual tanner in Light dries quite quickly, doesn't smell too biscuity and does a very decent and non-fake job.

OneLittleLady Mon 15-Apr-13 13:40:35

If you're going to do pale well, then invest in some good sunscreen. There's few worse looks than trying to be being pale and interesting with lobster pink patches. I know this from experience.

Tweet2tweet Mon 15-Apr-13 13:47:57

Best exfoliater I have used here

Also use Clinique city block 40spf every day and a tinted moisturiser for my pale skin

Lottapianos Mon 15-Apr-13 14:55:33

Great thread. I have the same issues since ditching fake tan a few years ago - soooooo much less faff and no worries about being orange or having streaky bits!

Agree with all the advice about exfoliating and moisturising. Use whichever body lotion your skin gets along best with, and plenty of it.

YoniMitchell Mon 15-Apr-13 15:29:33

This is all good advice and very reassuring! I like the idea of a moisturiser with a bit of shimmer, so thanks for that tip Curtsey - I think that'll be ideal on holiday, when I just want to have a nice warm glow, albeit slight!

I do tan a little when on hols, which is nice (I slap on good sunscreen though to avoid going pink!) but I guess if I'm going to be the palest person when I go on holiday, my skin might as well be as nice-looking as I can make it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now