Talk

Advanced search

Children's wellies-why are they all so short?

(13 Posts)
TiredMule Mon 15-Apr-13 10:17:37

? Water and mud always go up higher than normal height children's willies-major design flaw!

Where can I find some longer ones eg Hunter length but not hunter price!!

Theas18 Mon 15-Apr-13 10:31:45

If the mud is willie height then it's too deep LOL

IMHO kids wellies are short as kids legs are short (esp toddlers) and they need to bend their knees! We used waterproof trousers over wellies (from go outdoors/millets etc ) and these are easy to put on or leave off depending on the weather .

TiredMule Mon 15-Apr-13 12:36:03

grin whoops! Wellies obviously! That's what I thought the reasoning probably was but especially for dd1 who is 7 for walking to school waterproof trousers aren't ideal, though we have some for if we're going for a muddy walk.
What I don't understand is they could be quite a bit longer and they'd still be able to bend their legs!
Has anybody got/seen any?

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Apr-13 12:38:25

Also, longer wellies are heavier for little legs. Probably not a problem at 7, but my friend used to have to seek out really cheap, light wellies for her diddy weedy 2 yo. The lovely rubber HAtley type ones were too heavy.

mybelovedmonster Mon 15-Apr-13 12:38:27

So they can bend their legs!

Callisto Mon 15-Apr-13 13:18:28

The only longer wellies for children I have come across are Hunter, Joules or Timberland. Joules are probably the cheapest of that lot.

5madthings Mon 15-Apr-13 13:22:56

My ds4 has hunter wellies and so does toddler dd, think they were about £20 and i will pass them down/re sell them so ok value.

My boys have also had joules wellies which come up a decent height and again bit pricier but good resale value.

Also check out garden centres they often have good ones smile

TiredMule Mon 15-Apr-13 13:25:50

Thank you Callisto-i'll have a look!

TiredMule Mon 15-Apr-13 13:26:56

And 5madthings!

mysteryfairy Mon 15-Apr-13 14:12:58

If you want hunters but discounted I've found amazon warehouse is good for them. Amazon sell off customer returns cheaply rather than adding them back into stock. They say you won't get the box etc but I've found mostly you actually do and if you aren't in a hurry you can pick up wellies for kids for less than £20, doc martens for £30 etc. You do have to keep checking as obviously they only have what people have recently returned but you might have the luxury of time as the weather is currently marginally improved!

LaTrucha Mon 15-Apr-13 15:31:03

DD has good ones from Vertbaudet ATM. They aren't too heavy and have been tall enough for most things. They are pricey but there are often codes around.

SunnyRandall Mon 15-Apr-13 19:47:53

Ds always has these.

They come up high, wear really well and are unisex so get passed down to dd. And under a tenner.

vanillamum Mon 15-Apr-13 23:39:33

If you have a shoezone near you they are selling high leg green ones very similar to the green dunlop ones on Amazon. They are £7.99 a pair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now