Talk

Advanced search

I need a party dress and have no idea where to start!

(19 Posts)
NeverBeenToMe Sun 14-Apr-13 16:19:45

My invitation to a friend's 50th birthday party says "black tie and party dresses". The party is an evening do, in the hotel where she's General Manager, so I need something that looks a million dollars but for a whole lot less!

Where can I start looking for something suitable? And what would be suitable? Knee/calf/full length?

I'm 5'9", probably an hourglass figure (with newly measured 32gg norks) - usually wear a 14-16.

Any help MUCH appreciated!

NeverBeenToMe Sun 14-Apr-13 16:24:42

something like this but cheaper

Lovely

Sorry but I don't like that Monsoon one. The one I've linked to isn't cheaper, but could be worn in lots of different ways for different events.

cremeeggsrock Sun 14-Apr-13 16:32:50

What about this?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Connection-Vegas-Dream-Jersey-Bead-Trim-Long-Maxi-Embellished-Dress-14-42-/181061666230?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&hash=item2a281dc5b6

NeverBeenToMe Sun 14-Apr-13 16:40:35

Remus I don't really have the lifestyle of "lots of events" smile

My first reaction to the one you've suggested is "too clingy" but I suppose with spanx or similar it would be fine. I still think I'm a pre-perimenopausal size 10 sad when in reality I'm becoming rather more lumpy bumpy.

I'm (a young!) 45 btw, if that makes any difference to posters' suggestions!

Keep 'em coming!

It would be fine with Spanx or something - she is the Queen of hourglass dressing imho. smile

By 'lots of events' I meant that it will last you years and you can dress it up/down in different ways - eg with a cami under and a jacket over for work etc.

YouCantTeuchThis Sun 14-Apr-13 16:54:28

bargain it's not an obvious 'party' dress but it can be accessorised in lots of different ways. I have 2 planet dresses and they are really flattering.

eagerbeagle Sun 14-Apr-13 17:09:28

ghost sale

There are loads more

cremeeggsrock Sun 14-Apr-13 17:11:36

look at the sale section on the coast website theres loads......

NeverBeenToMe Sun 14-Apr-13 17:14:43

Ooo the Ghost one is lovely smile

Off to check out Coast .....

Pleasenomorepeppa Sun 14-Apr-13 17:14:57

Vivian of Holloway fabulous 50's party dresses! smile.

NeverBeenToMe Sun 14-Apr-13 17:20:18

Omg, you lot are a BAD influence on me .....

So many beautiful things out there . . . . <shakes piggy bank>

SirToffeeDoris Sun 14-Apr-13 17:24:04

Too short? pepperberry £52.50

Has anyone ever tried one of these? I'm intrigued if they actually work in real life

Think it is this sort of thing

Cheaper maxi

ivanapoo Sun 14-Apr-13 17:42:19

Phase Eight isn't usually a place i think of for evening dresses but I quite like these:

pink maxi

green maxi

I personally wouldn't wear a dress like that Monsoon one as it's so strappy and my boobs need straps to stay up! Also bias cut seems to show every lump and bump on me...

NeverBeenToMe Sun 14-Apr-13 18:11:44

SirToffee the wrap dresses look amazing - but I could just see myself catching on something and the whole damn thing unwrapping from me ...

BHS maxi - trying to keep away from black - but the mocha embellished chiffon dress on the right hand panel is pretty ....

ivana love, love, LOVE that pink one but can't really justify spending that amount or can I

pyjamalover Sun 14-Apr-13 18:11:52

this is ridiculously flattering, try it try it. Free delivery from jl too!

ivanapoo Mon 15-Apr-13 15:22:33

If you love the pink one, at least order it and see what it looks like on. You can usually take stuff back if it doesn't fit. (Check you can get a refund)

It's a classic dress so could be part of your wardrobe for years.

THere's always ebay if you need to recoup some costs after the event...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now