Talk

Advanced search

Massive Wardrobe Cull

(10 Posts)
dazzlingdeborahrose Sun 14-Apr-13 10:47:54

This morning I'm culling my wardrobe. I'm having a massive clearout. All of the tops with little mystery holes are going. Everything I haven't worn in a year is going. Anything old and faded looking is going. There's a few things I'm conflicted about. Should I save them til the next cull or should I be truly ruthless and hurl them out no? I've a few linen trousers that I'm wondering about. Trouble is I'm not sure if I've not worn them because I couldn't find them or because I dont like them any more. The upside of this is that I've found quite a few things that are really nice that I didn't even know I had grin

TravelinColour Sun 14-Apr-13 11:00:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dazzlingdeborahrose Sun 14-Apr-13 11:17:23

Thanks, I've been trying stuff on chucking anything that doesn't fit or doesn't look right. Shoes and bags are next on the agenda. I think I can bin quite a few of those and still have plenty left over to coordinate wardrobe. I'm trying to get a bit more savvy with my purchasing. Fewer more versatile pieces rather than tons of stuff. Guess what my next thread will be on!

noviceoftheday Sun 14-Apr-13 11:21:19

I am ruthless annual culler. However, the things i am not sure about get a stay of execution to the next cull. If I haven't worn them a lot without a good reason they're out.

miche8 Sun 14-Apr-13 11:28:40

I hang anything I'm not sure about on my wardrobe door so I can see it and if I still don't wear it, it goes, have a try on session and see if you can come up with new outfit ideas. My problem is I buy lots of similar things but only every wear a couple of my favourites, for example I have lots of black and navy cardigans, lots of Breton tops, and white shirts/blouses, navy vests. Quite a bit also doesnt fit but I'm also trying (but not very hard)to lose weight and where I kinda have a uniform it's not dated so I want to keep it because I know I will wear the clothes once I've lost a bit of weight. Would love a minimalist capsule wardrobe would be so much easier.

dazzlingdeborahrose Sun 14-Apr-13 11:51:20

I know exactly what you mean miche. I've tried on a dress this morning that still had tags on. I kept it intending to slim into it. I'm delighted to say that this morning I zipped it up! It's still a little tight across the boobs but other than that its okay. I've decided to keep it a little longer. If by the summer it's still tight ill admit defeat and let it go. I thnk I've actually culled around half the contents this morning and now I can actually see what I've got which is great.

dreamingofsun Sun 14-Apr-13 12:11:11

you could put the things you are unsure about in 1 section of your wardrobe and force yourself to pick from this area for a week/month/however long it takes. then you will really know how you feel about them and get rid of the things you hate.

surfandturf Sun 14-Apr-13 15:52:46

I did a massive cull about 6 months ago and put everything in a box to take to the charity shop. As I am a slattern the box hasn't yet found it's way to the charity shop. I am and never really have been very stylish but enthused by some recent threads, this morning I looked at everything in the box and pulled a few pieces out which I now think if I accessorize properly will actually look quite nice. I would suggest trying to look at each garment and decide if you can wear it with something else that you don't usually pair it with for a different look?

ToomuchWaternotWine Sun 14-Apr-13 17:37:13

I really need to do this. I am now a SAHM in the north of scotland so my wardrobe needs have changed from city career girl who parties a lot, to dog walking casual chick. I have lots of things that are a few years old, probably out of style, but I haven't chucked them cos of some silly sentimental reasons.

I shall try to be ruthless and follow your example!

dazzlingdeborahrose Sun 14-Apr-13 19:07:10

Well the deed is done. About half the contents of drawers and wardrobes are now in black bags on the landing. I've organised my wardrobes by colour so it should be easier to put an outfit together in the morning. About half a dozen items are on trial. If I wear them over the next six months I will keep them. I've realised how much my style has changed over the past few years too. So overall a useful exercise. Thanks for all the help, tips and advice. Going to have a g&t and a bath now. wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now