Talk

Advanced search

Can I refurbish a handbag?

(7 Posts)
CocoNutter Sat 13-Apr-13 23:37:02

My beautiful black leather handbag is start to lose its black-ness and go grey where it's getting a bit worn. Is there any way I can restore this? Anyone got any tips? other than shoe polish because I ruined my cream coat when I tried that

ArtexMonkey Sat 13-Apr-13 23:38:58

Can you colour the worn bits in with a black marker? <all class, me>

Or scuffkote that you get for shoes?

BOF Sat 13-Apr-13 23:43:55

Black marker will turn blue or green, sorry.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 14-Apr-13 06:47:46

Some info here

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 14-Apr-13 06:49:27

I meant the cleaning products rather than actually sending it away as that costs £££.

You could also try dyeing the leather back to black with leather dye.

Mominatrix Sun 14-Apr-13 07:14:54

Yes you can. There are leather dyes which will redye the bald areas. I have been recommended to use Fiebing's products to do this. You need to use a swipe of acetone first to clear the area of waxy or oily surfaces, then tap die. You can also use something similiar to Meltonian leather creams (this is an American product, an I don't know the name of the European counterpart) which is coloured, but the problem with this is that you will have to regularly reapply as this does not actually re-dye.

After you redye, I'd clean and condition the whole bag again useing Blackrocks Leather n' Rich then waterproof with Obenauf's HD Leather Prodector.

*NB - these are American products, but can be found doing a google search for suppliers here.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 14-Apr-13 07:41:29

Is that Handbag Spa the place Liz Jones sent hers off to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now