Talk

Advanced search

What tights/shoes combo do you wear for spring/

(31 Posts)
Gingefringe Sat 13-Apr-13 16:51:43

Whilst I'm looking forward to the warm weather and wearing lighter clothes for work, I'm secretly dreading having to shed my opaque tights and boots and revealing my legs horrible white fat knees.

What footwear and tights do you wear for work? I'm looking for some inspiration - I need fairly low heels/flats as I have a walk to the station each day and our office is located on an old cobbled street - very tricky with heels!

I keep a pair of heels at work and change into them when I get there. Otherwise, I tend to wear opaques for as long as I can get away with, moving on to navy or grey or berry colours after Easter. I then wear M&S nude tights and ballet flats, wedges or heels.

And if it ever gets v warm, I wear nude hold ups instead of tights.

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 13-Apr-13 17:04:35

I wear boots or flats for the journey to work, then take shoes to change into - save heels from being trashed, they last a lot longer

Tights : I mainly buy from M&S, anything from nude 7 denier to the fashion (colour/pattern) tights. Have bought some today to try out - Autograph oiled leg and some other 10d ones. And some fishnets

I like nude fishnets actually - although one friend did tell me that from afar, I looked like I had leprosy hmm

Am fond of coloured shoes to add interest to work outfits - have got grey patent, berry, blue suede, nude, cherry red....sometimes you just need something plain tights-wise, but I hardly ever wear black opaque - too dull! (although I won't wear my bright fuchsia tights to the office any more, the partner was not v keen!)

Queenofknickers Sat 13-Apr-13 18:48:15

Sorry to hijack but are nude tights ok? Youngsters at work tell me they are "beyond grannyish" (I'm 38)

KatoPotato Sat 13-Apr-13 18:50:57

Nude tights are indeed acceptable! Bare legs at work is tres unprofessional IMO.

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 13-Apr-13 18:56:22

Well Queen I am 37 - and whilst I am sure I am called many things at work, am fairly sure 'grannyish' is not one of them grin

Nude tights far better than no tights/corned beef/tango-ed legs!

iMe Sat 13-Apr-13 20:31:36

queenofknicks, nude tights are better than blue legs with goosebumps. But I stick with opaques for as long as I can get away with them.

Queenofknickers Sat 13-Apr-13 20:38:54

Actually it was one if the particularly tango-ed ones that made that comment - nude tights here I come (eventually when I can be arsed to shave legsgrin)

Raptorrethy Sat 13-Apr-13 20:48:47

Can anyone recommend the perfect nude tights? Not too orange, not too mat, not too shiny, not too flimsy...and preferably available from M&S grin

Gingefringe Sat 13-Apr-13 21:14:43

Yes, also looking for some recommendations for the perfect nude tights.

I know this sounds silly but is it ever ok to wear dark opaques with pale or tan shoes? The young girls at work seem to get away with it.

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 13-Apr-13 21:16:43

Rap - am on the case! Happy to share my findings...will come back next week with an update

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 13-Apr-13 21:18:28

Ginge - I would say yes. I've worn navy with nude/camel shoes

mewkins Sat 13-Apr-13 21:19:28

M&S autograph 7 denier natural tan oiled are good (think they do a slightly darker shade for less pasty people!) A fiver (that seems a lot to me but I have worn and washed a few times and they are fine).

Ashoething Sat 13-Apr-13 21:56:42

I wear the nude tights from primark-10 denier and you get 5 pairs for £2.50. Or nude fishnets or hold ups from m&s. Or seamed stockings-ann summers.

Gingefringe Sun 14-Apr-13 10:13:14

Thanks - off to M&S to look for those oily leg ones now!

I like navy and tan. DD1 wears black opaques with tan loafers and looks great, but she has the legs of a young gazelle.

Ogooglebar Sun 14-Apr-13 11:27:34

I wear black opaques all year round really - there's only one or two weeks a year in England when it gets too hot for them IMO (and that's if we're lucky!) I never wear heels, so wear them with either black or silver French Sole ballet flats. Also like tan brogues or loafers with black opaques. When it's warm I often wear cropped or peg-leg trousers to work, no need for tights or socks then.

Ogooglebar Sun 14-Apr-13 11:29:46

I can't stand nude tights, but agree with Kato, bare legs at work if it's more than lower calf/ankle looks unprofessional.

lustybusty Sun 14-Apr-13 16:10:46

Um. Have I been making terrible faux pas at work for the last 3 years?? I go bare legged in the summer, legs generally lightly tanned, no hair, moisturised. Tend to wear pencil skirts with peep toed sandals/shoes ( and I cannot STAND tights with open toed shoes, not the one with seams, with no seams, or even the open toed ones which remind me of surgical stockings help me ladies!!

twentythirteen Sun 14-Apr-13 17:41:27

Op, I have fat white knees too, I move to skirts/dresses that sit below the knee in summer. And I love nude tights, I don't care, I love them.

Lusty I go bare legged too. I work in a fairly relaxed environment though (denim friendly). I don't like wearing tights at the best of times but on a hot day I would feel so uncomfortable I wouldn't get anything done.

Lexx22 Mon 15-Apr-13 12:38:49

I tend to adhere to the theory that if I am going to wear tights, then I want it to be noticeable, so I like coloured opaques with patterns or funky textures. Currently I wear a grey or textured pencil skirt but I try and liven it up with an opaque pastel lilac or even pink, especially if I have to walk around a trade show and meet people (helps to remember me!). I don't really like bare legs, as I think it does look a little 'unprofessional'. You can get some really lovely completely sheer barely there tights, and I think I will be wearing those until I get near some sun (not so much leg colour but more pimply skin tone and blemishes.)
I used to buy tights at the supermarket and high street stores, but since I've been buying online, I haven't been near the high street..it seems you get what you pay for.

I currently use www.stockingshq.com as they regularly do sales and have an outlet section of their site. I've got some really pretty and original pairs, and the quality and choice of styles are a lot better than I've seen on the high street. They are really quick on delivery and had to send something back and they were really helpful. I don't havea department store near me either, as they have a little more choice. I have even been wearing knee highs under trousers too (gasp!! I'm not even 40 yet!) and find they are really convenient. Online they even do black opaque ones, more like trendy sheer socks, so I still feel a bit trendy smile

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 15-Apr-13 13:02:36

I go bare legged too. I too find nude tights very grannyish, and I'm 38 hmm.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 15-Apr-13 13:03:18

Or yes, always noticeable ones otherwise. Really can't stand nude tights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now