Talk

Advanced search

Getting colours done - what do you do with clothes you have already in the wrong colours?

(7 Posts)
Jemster Sat 13-Apr-13 12:03:00

I'm sorting out my wardrobe and looking at the colour swatches I had done a while ago. I have quite a few things that aren't in my colours but can't afford to just chuck them. Feels funny wearing them though knowing they probably aren't doing me any favours. The worst offender is black which I have a fair bit of but I can't help liking it even though I was told no don't wear it.
I'd like to start again with anything new I buy but money is tight so looks like I'm stuck for a while wearing the wrong colours! Any suggestions welcome.

Gillybobs Sat 13-Apr-13 12:15:48

A scarf in one of your best colours and the correct lippy can make the "wrong clothes" much more wearable I found. You do need to do this gradually. Maybe start by replacing your tops, colours on your bottom half aren't so noticeably wrong.

I immediately went out and bought a couple of scarves and tops and I was happy because I could see the magic straight away. Then do the rest as and when you can. I saw some advice on here to split your wardrobe in half, correct colours on the left, wrong on the right. Then aim to wear as much as you can from the compliant side and to increase that section gradually

Mosman Sat 13-Apr-13 12:19:03

Too be honest especially with black I still wear it, I'm not going to buy any more but as you say who can afford to throw it all out ?

flowery Sat 13-Apr-13 13:13:01

You ebay them all and put the money towards some things in the right colours.

I ebayed mountains of black!

BloooCowWonders Sat 13-Apr-13 14:34:07

Can you dye any of the other wrong cours? (Not the black obv )

I used a Dylon machine wash dye on a big batch of summer clothes with mixed success. Some came out well, others not so but it was definitely worth having a go for the money.

FrugalFashionista Sat 13-Apr-13 16:47:21

I didn't get rid of black although I'm a Light Summer. It looks pretty good still with the right makeup and lipstick (remember blusher!). Plus for many occasions, only black will do anyway.

My old Color Me Beautiful book (vintage from mid-80s wink ) warmly recommends black skirts/trousers/shoes for light seasons. I can't see what's wrong with that.

Ogooglebar Sat 13-Apr-13 17:30:03

I swapped some of mine with a friend - I'm a winter and she's an autumn and we're the same size luckily. She gave me lots of black and grey things and I gave her some burnt orange and peach things. Sold a couple of dresses on eBay too. I'm not buying any more clothes than usual, just wearing the things I have that are the right colours, and when I do buy something new I make sure it's right. I have bought lots of new lippy and nail polish though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now