Talk

Advanced search

Best nail hardening product recommendations please

(31 Posts)
Jemster Sat 13-Apr-13 11:12:12

After weeks of gel overlays I've managed to grow my nails to a decent length. I can't keep up the cost of the gel but my nails are paper thin underneath so will not survive long!
Can anyone recommend the best product for hardening nails as I really need this to have any chance of keeping them decent without the gel. Thanks

quietlysuggests Sat 13-Apr-13 11:13:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 13-Apr-13 11:16:32

I liked Nail Envy by OPI.

Jemster Sat 13-Apr-13 11:20:45

Thanks can you buy nail envy in shops or only online?

bubbakin Sat 13-Apr-13 12:30:04

I have really weak nails & only think that has worked for me is solar oil by creative nails. Lasts ages too. I bought mine from beauticians that used creative nail products.

hermioneweasley Sat 13-Apr-13 15:34:27

Mavala scientifique is th best I've tried

armagh Sat 13-Apr-13 15:52:48

Do NOT use Dr, Lewinns- total crap. My nails are in bits after it. Likewise Nail Magic- terrible. There must be some ingredient common to both that ruins my nails
Sally Hansen is crap too.
Years ago both my friend and I were allergic to someyhing in the Revlon nail hardeners. We got our money back.
Opi didn't do much but at least my nails weren't wrecked

armagh Sat 13-Apr-13 17:48:24

I am going to try Mavala next.
So Sally Hansen No
Opi No and
Dr. Lewinns No

msmorgan Sun 14-Apr-13 07:02:38

Try Nailtiques, I use no2 but you may need no1. They have a website you could have a look to see which one would be best. I order it from Amazon, there are lots of reviews to give you an idea if you think it will work for you.

You brush it on daily for a week, remove then repeat until your nails improve. Usually takes 2 weeks to see a difference with mine. It just looks like clear polish.

Numberlock Sun 14-Apr-13 07:22:03

Iron and folic acid tablets

knitknack Sun 14-Apr-13 07:42:06

Marvella - it's totally different from all the others (it's not a 'varnish'h AND, most importantly, it WORKS! You'll be astonished (I was).

Parsnipcake Sun 14-Apr-13 07:49:34

Nailtiques number 2 worked better than nail envy for me.

TheDailyWail Sun 14-Apr-13 07:52:01

I've just started to use the Mavala Scientifique for my nails - I have 2 nails on each hand which are soft and look like claws when they get too long as they don't grow straight. I will report back.

DTisMYdoctor Sun 14-Apr-13 07:57:13

I have that problem TheDailyWail so will be interested to know whether it helps!

armagh Sun 14-Apr-13 09:12:13

Oh yeah I forgot about Nailtiques- used that too - to no availhmm

armagh Sun 14-Apr-13 09:13:39

KnitKnack is Marvella different to Mavala or ate they the same product?

Nerfmother Sun 14-Apr-13 09:16:05

Interesting. I've been using sally hansen miracle cure for a week and my nails are worse! Dr haushka nail oil worked brilliantly when I could be bothered. Opi nail envy crap. Will try mavala next - does boots stock it?

ihatethecold Sun 14-Apr-13 09:32:12

watching with interest. i found that the OPI oil and nail envy havent made much difference to my nails.

is there more than 1 marvala product that is being recommended or is it just the scientifique?
thanks

Jemster Sun 14-Apr-13 09:52:23

I think i might try the marvala. I had not good results with sally hansen.

CrayolaLola Sun 14-Apr-13 10:06:08

Don't laugh but...

We've recently moved house and the area is covered by Avon. Avon lady is lovely so I did the honourable thing and placed a little order, just for their 'Nail Experts Gel strength Base Coat' as it looked hopeful. I kid you not, it lasts about week (which is good by any standards - exceptional for Avon) and my nails are dagger strong. Their ordinary nail polishes last about 5 seconds but this gel base coat stuff is great!

knitknack Sun 14-Apr-13 10:31:47

marvala!! My ipad is a loon (as is my spelling) smile

dontyouwantmebaby Sun 14-Apr-13 10:48:56

I've got weak, soft nails that split too. They never manage to grow very much either. I think damage must be due to years of wearing false nails in my 20s.

Have also tried everything!

OPI nail envy was shite and expensive.
Mavala, Sally Hansen, Nailtiques, Essie, Boots - you name it, I've tried it.They may have temporarily made my nails look a bit better but they didn't do a damn thing to strengthen them. Also took folic acid to no effect. I might try iron tablets as suggested above.

Wonder if more calcium would be good? Anyone tried that?

Good luck OP, I am sure different products work better on different people. Sorry am not much help!

armagh Sun 14-Apr-13 11:15:18

Am on calcium supplements and hair and nail help tablets for years- to no avail !
Avon is moving out of Ireland again

dontyouwantmebaby Sun 14-Apr-13 12:04:12

oh no going to cancel calcium order then smile

crayola - I think Avon might be the way to go!

armagh Sun 14-Apr-13 12:54:46

I shall try and get avon before they shut down shop here. Don't cancel cacium order. Calcium is good for your bones smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now