Talk

Advanced search

Jewellery with rubies

(12 Posts)
LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 20:15:25

that isn't godawful.

Whimsically, I'm taken with the idea of getting myself something for my 40th birthday coming up soon. I came into an unexpected windfall by way of some dividends from some old account of my mother's (recently passed away), ruby is my birthstone and I like the idea of not just putting the money in my current account. It's under £100 but maybe enough to get something nice.

Trouble is, I don't really like any of the jewellery I've seen. I did quite like this, but it is too much like a rosary for me.

Any suggestions welcome!

travailtotravel Fri 12-Apr-13 20:26:53

I am 40 too this year and looking at Rubies and Emeralds (oh and sapphires and diamonds and ....)

Anyway, I found this site quite interesting
www.qpjewellers.com/16333.html

LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 20:32:25

I loveDower and Hall jewellry but no rubies. Some emeralds though. You might like something.

LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 20:33:28

nice earrings BTW, although I don't tend to wear them. I ued to really like the idea of a very large ruby ring, but it wouldn't go with my wedding rings.

LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 20:58:44

Some quite nice simple pieces there, but I'm not sure they are what I want.

travailtotravel Fri 12-Apr-13 21:34:21

I think I want simpler - possibly even just plain studs. I like to wear my diamonds every day knowing they're real <smug>

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:03:44

What about a pink sapphire? A ruby is basically a red sapphire.

The trouble with rubies is the inclusions make them look cloudy so you have to really shop around to find a nice one, plus a lot of jewellers set them into quite fuddy duddy settings from the 1980's.

My pink sapphire is a pale pear cut, I didn't like the dark pink ones.

LaTrucha Sat 13-Apr-13 10:15:18

Interesting. I'll have a look. Thankyou.

LaTrucha Sat 13-Apr-13 15:05:37

They can be really baby pink, can't they? I think I do want the red. I've seen some single 'dot' birthstone jewellery on notonthehighstreet which I like in design but it all looks a bit roughly made.

LaTrucha Sat 13-Apr-13 20:01:34

bump

knitknack Sat 13-Apr-13 20:52:07

Have you tried etsy? There are some lovely ruby/gold pieces on there - garnet too, which is often a slightly richer colour, I think.

Www.etsy.com

LaTrucha Sun 14-Apr-13 08:45:25

I have, to my cost. I found something I really liked at about four time my budget. It has set the bar and am struggling to find something as nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now