Talk

Advanced search

Woolovers- what do you think?

(24 Posts)
Spookey80 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:08:03

Have discovered I have a bit of a thing about natural fibres and came across this site when looking for a plainish cardi?
I'm only 32 and just scared it will look fuddyduddy on me- any opinions?

iMe Fri 12-Apr-13 16:50:26

Well Im a liiiittle bit younger than you and I wear it. Good quality, IMO. Obv, some of it I wouldn't wear, but if you pick and choose carefully, it won't be frumpy. I advise you size down. I'm a 12-14 and take a small size when in other brands I need L or XL smile

Lilymaid Fri 12-Apr-13 16:58:52

Some of the stuff is OK. The unisex stuff is based on mens' sizes and is enormous. The women only items are still generously sized.
The merino/silk pullovers pill terribly. Cotton and silk is reasonable but does pill a little. Some items are very short ... check the length before buying.

Lilymaid Fri 12-Apr-13 16:59:48

Merino/cashmere, not merino/silk! Whatever they are they pill dreadfully!

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 12-Apr-13 17:16:57

Oooh I started a thread on this a week or two ago. The general consensus was that the quality was very good for the price. The merino/cashmere mix seems to be the best/most popular. Going to buy a couple myself.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Fri 12-Apr-13 17:31:52

I found the quality really good but it was a little bit frumpy on me. But this was a while ago and I gave up after the first order so if you choose wisely you might be ok.

orangeandlemons Fri 12-Apr-13 17:33:32

Purecollection is much nicer, but more expensive iirc

mewkins Fri 12-Apr-13 20:50:39

The cropped cardigans are a nice shape but yes they are generously cut - small is the smallest size and is about a 10/12

LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 21:29:47

I bought the blouse-sleeved jumper as my first thing last week. I love it so much I want to kiss them with tongues.

I do agree that some look a bit too 'classic'.

I have medium. I am a big boobed 12, and am generally pleased as it does fit nicely across the chest. It is a bit baggy on the waist.

I have a silk - cotton mix and the quality seems amazing for £23. (in sale but not much more now).

dexter73 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:37:46

I ordered a couple of jumpers from them but they were huge and a bit frumpy. It has put me off ordering from them again. Also they took ages to deliver, about 10 days, and it would probably have been longer if I hadn't phoned them up to find out where the parcel was.

harbinger Fri 12-Apr-13 21:40:54

Woolovers are brilliant. I gave DH the zipped and buttoned cardi and a lambswool cardi. He hasn't worn his horrible fleece since!

Result.

tri10 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:47:08

I have a long/ boyfriend cardigan from there and the quality is good but it is a bit frumpy looking so don't tend to wear it much

boogiewoogie Fri 12-Apr-13 22:45:29

I have just placed an order not long ago before opening this thread having been inspired by a thread a couple of weeks ago! I hope that I haven't made an expensive mistake!

floweryblue Fri 12-Apr-13 22:50:38

It's good for the price. Give it a go and make your own mind up. I've had some really good quality items really cheap, others I wish I had found elsewhere and spent more money on.

harbinger Fri 12-Apr-13 22:53:36

I'd love to know how your lambswool has lasted and if it's bobbled.

The worst bobbling was from EWM. Binned eventually.

Boden lambswool bobbles.

Just saying......

floweryblue Fri 12-Apr-13 22:54:30

Have you looked at Braintree hemp clothes, again patchy with quality, but when you get something good it is excellent. And mostly natural fibres. Also their hemp socks are a very rare natural fibre sock source for me.

NorkilyChallenged Sat 13-Apr-13 07:55:18

I get the cropped styles as I like v fitted, short style cardigans to wear over work stuff. Yes, size 10/12 = small unless you're more generously chested.

They warn you about the pilling (a feature of natural fibres, worse at first but will eventually stop) and explain how to deal with it (I got that fab JL clothes shaver as recommended on MN and it's fabulous)

FreshLeticia Sat 13-Apr-13 13:18:40

Agree with Norkily, the pilling goes after a while, and it's nowhere near as bad as my Brora cashmere cardi. You have to remove it until it stops.
The merino/cashmere is harder-wearing than pure cashmere but still soft, but you have to go for the right items as some are frumpy, esp those with little frilly edges.
Crop cardis and the wrap ballet ones are ok, I have the wrap merino/cashmere one in several colours and the older ones are not pilling any more.
Boden cardis pill dreadfully IMO.

ggirl Sat 13-Apr-13 13:29:17

lots of their styles are too short and end up looking frumpy cos of it

Spookey80 Sat 13-Apr-13 14:00:34

I am a quite slight size 8, and fancy a cashmere/merino boyfriend cardi, so maybe will look too big on me?

LaTrucha Sat 13-Apr-13 20:00:37

I've just had an email which says there's free delivery until the 18th of April with code 'FRESH'

CointreauVersial Sat 13-Apr-13 21:14:20

I like Woolovers, although the website is frump-tastic.

Seeing as it's nigh-on impossible to find wool knitwear in the shops at the moment, their stuff is an absolute bargain.

I have a long-line black lambswool v-neck which has had a lot of wear; also a cream Guernsey, which is unbelievably cosy. DH has a couple of sleeveless jumpers for work.

But as has already been said, size down, particularly in the unisex styles.

iMe Sun 14-Apr-13 16:34:27

Just came on to say exactly what LaTrucha said about free delivery code. I've just ordered the relaxed grandad shirt in French navy/citrus. Was also eyeing up the blouse sleeved jumper but didn't order it yet.

harbinger Mon 15-Apr-13 19:01:26

Re the pilling. I do expect it on new clothes. Woolovers is doing well to remind people that this happens.

Edindinburgh Woolen Mill jumper has worn threadbare on the elbows and other places. Just awful. Jumper bought in November and not worn 'to death'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now