Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding dress for wedding

(11 Posts)
alainn Fri 12-Apr-13 14:35:53

I have a family wedding next month, and i need a smart, and preferably gorgeous dress that I can nurse in. Baby shall be only 10 was, and its my brothers wedding so there shall be photos! I need either a breastfeeding dress, or a regular dress, that will facilitate breastfeeding, I could use a shawl, or like. So many sites, i look at show nursing dresses modelled by pregnant models. Is this normal?

GoingToBedfordshire Fri 12-Apr-13 18:00:14

I had this problem a few years ago and in the end went for a bf top, nice skirt and jacket as all the bf dresses I could find were incredibly unflattering and/or expensive. The top was something like this (in white) which is nothing special on its own, but looked nice with a bold print skirt and bright jacket and shoes. I also got a lot more wear out of them as separates than I would have got out of a bf dress.

Obviously things might have improved since then, but I felt good in that outfit even though I initally had a dress in mind.

Good luck!

pebbles1234 Fri 12-Apr-13 18:05:45

I had a wedding when ds was three weeks - got a lovely phase eight dress which had a cross over top and full skirt to hide the tummy - might be worth a look on their website, they usually have lots of wrap stuff.

christinarossetti Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:55

I had this a few years ago and bought an inexpensive cross over dress, unpicked the front and sewed a couple of press duds in.

And I wore it dressed down quite a lot after that.

I think your best bet is a normal dress which happens to be suitable for bf, rather than a specific bf dress.

alainn Fri 12-Apr-13 18:27:05

Thanks for the prompt replies... Had thought of phase eight, and like their styles. You ll instilled some confidence in me. Previously I bought a bf dress for wedding with dd1, it did wore well, but hasn't had wear since, and was very plain. Could do with a nice new dress.

jamaisjedors Fri 12-Apr-13 19:14:10

I would get a skirt and top, as goingtobedfordshire says.

If you buy something really nice, you may well change shape when you stop bf, so you won't wear it again.

Is the baby going to be 10 wks or 10 mths? Either way, even though I had lost the weight, I wasn't the same shape for about 18mths after both DS (bf both) so I wouldn't be investing in a dress at this stage.

I have tried bf in a dress (bf DS2 for 4 years) and it's almost impossible without revealing flab and other unsavoury sights to all and sundry, shawl or no shawl.

Meringue33 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:16:55

I have a lovely dress from Mamaway, does not even look like a nursing dress but is. It is pull apart so could combine with a pashmina you'd lift up.

Volare Fri 12-Apr-13 19:25:51

Isabella Oliver essential nursing dress can be dressed up or down and I got it for £30 in the sale [smug].

TheYoniOfYawn Fri 12-Apr-13 19:30:37

I got an amazing dress from a French online shop called Mamanana. It was reversible and could be separated into a top and skirt. I think I have worn it several timed a month for the past 6 years.

BuntyCollocks Fri 12-Apr-13 20:12:21

I think I'm going to get this for a wedding in September, and I have this for DD's christening.

igglewoo Sun 14-Apr-13 23:00:30

Have you seen www.milkandmummy.com/breastfeeding-dresses? I have just found their lovely range and it seems that all dresses are suitable for breastfeeding and are photographed both with and without a bump. The Bea shift dress caught my eye - quite different for a nursing dress and I've just bought it for a big family party we're having next month. I absolutely LOVE IT and I was just starting to give up hope of finding anything remotely fashionable! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now