Talk

Advanced search

Mason Pearson brushes

(16 Posts)
Kione Fri 12-Apr-13 13:10:09

I just read an article where the writer wsd told by her hair dresser told her that the trick to tame her frizzy hair was to brush it every night with a Mason Pearson brush (from £36 shock ). She did, and it worked. Article ends with: "The brush is miraculos".
I am really really almost pressing thw 'check out' button on the website, but I thought i'd first check with the wise mumsnetters!
So, any experiences? Should I??
Thanks!!

JaquelineHyde Fri 12-Apr-13 13:11:31

Simply put yes you should.

Kione Fri 12-Apr-13 13:19:02

Ok! well off to work.again so will see if more comments come in and will buy it after work. hopefully will be here before Friday because I am going on holidays!

YoniOno Fri 12-Apr-13 13:19:08

No. It's a massive marketing con. MO brushes just glide over the surface of your hair, not detangling it at all. It's like stroking a cat - feels lovely but doesn't do anything. Brushing is to detangle, nothing else. Get a wide vented brush and comb it gently from the bottom up.

If you want stronger, smoother hair, get some coconut oil for about £6 from Tesco and use it as a weekly pre-wash mask. And get some protein based mask too and use that, and take fish oil supplements and Perfectil.

But kudos to MP for their amazing marketing...

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Fri 12-Apr-13 13:34:06

I really love my MP, I've had it about five years and it works much better than anything else I've used.

TheYoniOfYawn Fri 12-Apr-13 13:36:19

I have very thick hair, and for ages a Mason Pearson brush was the only one I would use. They are fantastic. But I lost my old brush and couldn't afford a new one, but managed to find an Acca Kappa brush which was almost half the price if the Mason Pearson equivalent, was the same size and a combination of boar and rounded tip plastic bristles and had a much nicer wooden handle. So have a look to see if Acca Kappa do one for your hair type.

ScienceRocks Fri 12-Apr-13 13:50:45

I have a mason Pearson and have had it for 15 years. It is fabulous on my thick curly hair, removes tangles but doesn't make it frizz. Gives my scalp a good massage too. My two DDs also have them and despite both having long curly hair they never complain about having their hair done because it doesn't hurt when I brush it. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

Kione Fri 12-Apr-13 14:06:13

Sounds like I will... I think I have nice hair, very long dark, wavy and thick, but it goes very frizzy, and I just want it to be smooth

Kione Sat 13-Apr-13 08:48:52

The big ones are about £70+ in Amazon!! shock sad
And I looked in the website and they dont sell then directly?
I am going to look fir the Acca Pacca ones

Kione Sat 13-Apr-13 09:34:38

just ordered an Acca Kappa one grin

AntPants1 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:50:57

I love my Mason and Pearson brush. Yes they are expensive but I have had my current one for 10 years so they last and last. I have fine, fluffy hair and the MP brush works miracles.

CaptainWentworth Sat 13-Apr-13 11:39:17

My very kind MIL bought me a medium MP brush for my last birthday, and I love it! Have been growing my (fairly thick) hair and it often gets quite tangled at the ends- this brush really gets the tangles out without pulling (obv brushing from the bottom) and its far far better than my old plastic brush. Don't know what the poster higher up is on about, saying it only brushes the surface!

Not very good for blow drying etc though- keep my old brush for that.

sue52 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:47:31

I pretty sure I saw some Mason Pearson brushes when I was in a branch of TK Max. Might be worth checking out if you have a local store.

Kione Sun 14-Apr-13 12:20:01

thanks will keep am eye on TKMaxx as I have a DD so the Acca wont be unused if I Di find a MP one smile
thanks!

ScienceRocks Sun 14-Apr-13 18:51:11

Independent pharmacies sometimes stock them. Worth keeping an eye out...

madmomma Sun 14-Apr-13 19:46:24

I b.ought one and it's lovely for the baby cos it couldn't hurt if it tried, but it would take me forever to actually detangle my hair with it. I got the 100% boar bristle one though, so maybe the ones with nylon aswell are more efficient. But the point of the MP for me was that it was pure bristle. Waste of money in hindsight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now