Talk

Advanced search

how do you moth-proof cashmere?

(9 Posts)
racingheart Fri 12-Apr-13 08:58:41

Hi

I've just spent more than I ever do normally on a long cashmere cardigan and want to put it away until autumn but am scared clothes moths might get to it. (Had them before and they love cashmere)

Don't want it to smell of mothballs, so wondered if anyone on here knows the best way to keep cashmere safe.

Thanks

teta Fri 12-Apr-13 09:53:22

I wash mine before storage and store with cedar balls and lavender in a chest of drawers.I have several drawstring fabric bags that i store them inside as well.For my wardrobe i have moth repellant strips that drape over the clothes rail.

JazzDalek Fri 12-Apr-13 11:03:28

Wash and dry. Then freeze for a couple of days in a bag in the freezer (fluffs up fibres and destroys any moth eggs that may be lurking). Store in a cashmere bag (available from Brora, think they're a couple of quid each) with cedar balls or anti-moth sachets (Lakeland do these).

Moths are attracted to clothes that have been worn and not washed, so it is v important to wash before long-term storage.

racingheart Fri 12-Apr-13 13:27:59

Thanks so much teta and Jazz. I'll wash it, freeze it and zip it in a body bag full of cedar and lavender.

The moths are NOT having it. I love it, love it, love it.

ppeatfruit Fri 12-Apr-13 13:43:26

Yup agree with all the above, I LOVE cashmere it washes soo well and is soo cosy, lucky you with the cardie where did you get it racing?

InvaderZim Fri 12-Apr-13 13:59:09

The new generation of mothballs (I get Zensect) don't smell horrific and claim to kill eggs, larvae, and moths. Worth a try?

TravelinColour Fri 12-Apr-13 16:09:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

K8Middleton Fri 12-Apr-13 16:11:19

Keep it in the freezer.

mirpuppet Fri 12-Apr-13 18:55:17

I've just put my first item of clothing in the freezer. Will anything funny happen to the item?

Do you just thaw before you wear or do you have to do more?

I froze it in a ziploc bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now