Talk

Advanced search

Wedding cedilh

(21 Posts)
BramblyHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 22:30:52

I am going to my cousin's (trendy music entertainment types) wedding next money and the invite says wear comfy shoes and be prepared to dance (cedilh). Is there a specific dress 'code' or uniform for this kind of dancing? Ie. do i need a swishy dress or sleeves. I am 5ft 2 size 12-14 and will also be chasing / looking after my three young kids.

KristinaM Thu 11-Apr-13 22:41:05

No dress code. Just comfy shoes , a good bra and a dress than you won't fall out of , so no plunging halter necks or micro minis.

Your kids will love ceilidh dancing . Unless they are under 3, so they might get squashed. It's very...active.

BramblyHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 22:42:51

Ahh can't spell. Thanks! Will have to watch out for dd who is 2 then!

5madthings Thu 11-Apr-13 22:46:55

I we t to insof these, wear a dress you can move about in, not too tight or restrictive and a bra that is supportive/you won't fall out of.

Its great fun!

5madthings Thu 11-Apr-13 22:47:13

I went to one of these

YoniOno Thu 11-Apr-13 22:50:45

Haha, it's 'ceilidh' and yy to a good bra! Comfy shoes - M and S do fab heels for £19.50 that are comfy enough for a night's dancing. And if it's a good un you'll have bruises in the crook of your elbow for weeks grin

Also, you'll get very sweaty if you're doing it right so factor in some shine proof makeup.

AgentProvocateur Thu 11-Apr-13 23:02:17

And make sure you wear pants - if you're doing it properly, your dress will be wheeching up!

YoniOno Thu 11-Apr-13 23:03:15

I want to go to one now envy

heymammy Thu 11-Apr-13 23:05:53

I once went to a ceilidh on Hogmanay, wearing tiny little kitten heels, my feet were mangled by the end of the night.

There's a lesson there grin

BramblyHedge Fri 12-Apr-13 13:47:53

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Will invest in supportive underwear!

ShowOfHands Fri 12-Apr-13 13:54:59

I had a ceilidh at my wedding. I was barefoot for most of it tbh. My first dance is here if you want an example of how they start you off with an easy one...

OrangeLily Fri 12-Apr-13 13:57:47

Sometimes you may want sleeves as your arms can get sore. Especially if the guys roll their sleeves up and their skin sticks to yours when spinning. Awch! Tell folk wearing heels to naff off too. Ceilidhs much better if everyone in comfy flats or bare feet as you get mashed a lot.

If you are hefty of chest I'd suggest a good bra!

Have a ball... Love ceilidhs!!!

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 12-Apr-13 13:59:21

Love a good ceilidh. I would go for sleeves if there are going to be men there in their Bonnie Prince Charlie jackets with their kilts. Not sure if I remember the names of the dances correctly but there is one (Dashing White Sergeants? Strip the Willow?) where you take each other by the forearm and they whip you around and those little buttons on the arms of their jackets hurt like hell

redlac Fri 12-Apr-13 13:59:31

I fecking hate ceilidhs unless v v drunk. Flashback of years of enforced Scottish Country Dancing at primary and high school <shudder>

have a fabulous time though - and yy to a good bra and pants

MirandaWest Fri 12-Apr-13 13:59:53

Make sure you don't wear anything too warm. It is very active grin. If I ever get married again there will be a ceilidh smile

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 12-Apr-13 14:00:03

x-post OrangeLily !

MooncupGoddess Fri 12-Apr-13 14:00:54

Wear a lightweight dress as you'll get very hot! And shoes that won't come off whatever happens - nothing worse than seeing your footwear fly across the hall as you skip vigorously...

Being a scot I can safely ceilidh dance in heels but it needs to be shoes with straps or similar. Dainty courts or slingbacks will go flying.

And yes to the sturdy bra. Strapless dress not a good plan either really.

OrangeLily Fri 12-Apr-13 22:58:32

Statistically challenged.... Heels are bad form on a ceilidh dance floor for the good of others tho... Tut tut! wink

PuppyMonkey Fri 12-Apr-13 23:00:41

" I fucking hate ceilidhs unless very drunk"

And your point is grin? grin

I don't know anyone who wears flats to a ceilidh - including my mum in law!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now