Talk

Advanced search

Ok, so I thought it would be a good idea to cut my own hair...

(12 Posts)
floatyflo Thu 11-Apr-13 21:56:55

...and I'm rather impressed with myself! I did a good job grin

Looks so much nicer and alot neater than beforehand!

Job done and no emergency trip to hairdressers...<wipes brow emoticon>

Beaverfeaver Thu 11-Apr-13 22:50:09

How did you do it?

And well done!

YoniOko Fri 12-Apr-13 00:00:09

Yes how? grin

5318008 Fri 12-Apr-13 00:05:45

presumably with scissors

wink

poppyinthemiddle Fri 12-Apr-13 07:00:54

I do mine, to the horror of my more fashionable friends! - but at the moment that is a definite luxury expense that I cant afford. it is long and straight, so the back just needs a cm or so taking off every now and then to keep the ends healthy, but it is, long enough to bring a section round to the front to cut ends in front of me and see what i am doing in mirror.

I do also feather it around the front myself, at shortest points it is jaw length. Dont try and cut neat and straight is the best tip I have, go for scruffy look and you can't go far wrong! I take small section of hair, twist several times then run sharp edge of scissor or blade down with the direction of the twist.
I always cut vertically, either up or down, which prevents it looking too 'cut' if that makes sense. Take time and don't do it after a couple of drinks!! Need a steady hand. You can take more off but can't put it back on!!

WeAreEternal Fri 12-Apr-13 07:07:05

I have a friend who swears by the MN cut.
She used to have a blunt bob with a blunt fringe, but it always looked flat and made her look old.
The MN cut takes 10 years off her and looks lovely. It also saves her £40 a month.

BabyRuSh Fri 12-Apr-13 08:00:30

What is this mn cut? I have heard of it before but never found out! I can't believe I've reached my 30's and have yet to find a haircut I like...

WeAreEternal Fri 12-Apr-13 08:18:48

You turn your head upside down, brush your hair and put it into a pony tail right at the very front of your head, (spend a long time making sure it is perfectly brushed and the PT is perfect, it's the most important part!)

Then decide how long you want your fringe or the shortest layers and chat the pony tail there, just cut it off. You can snip into the end with the scissors pointing up if you want softer layers.

Then take the hair bobble out and admire you new MN haircut.

floatyflo Fri 12-Apr-13 09:31:22

I used proper hair scissors, dampened it slightly so I could get better tension and did it how poppyinthemiddle said. Sectioned top layers up and pull hair from around back and trimmed in front of mirror. Then pulled top layers down and cut to the length of fresh cut hair undeermeath.

I looked at the mumsnet cut. Theres lots online as lee stafford does it too.

I thought about trying but didn't feel that brave as its very much you dont know what its going to look like until you've taken your hairr down.

My hairs quite thin so having my all one length makes it appear alot thicker. And blunt cuts and fringes suit me, which is lucky as I wasn't too sure about attempting layers. But fab tips poppy about the feathering. May give that a go next time.

Have always cut my fringe myself, and do home dye kits, and waxing own eyebrows. So now adding home hair trim on that list is saving lots of pennies. and I feel so self conscious in hair salons

Lots of videos on you tube with fab tutorials on cutting hair if anyone is thinking of giving it a go.

I will attempt to upload a before and after shot if anyone wants to have a look smile

jubbablub Fri 12-Apr-13 09:45:58

Just did the Mumsnet haircut instead of an expensive visit to the salon and it looks BRILLIANT!!!

Had fine, thin, mid-back length hair and have chopped about four inches of! It's all swishy and amazing!

floatyflo Fri 12-Apr-13 09:50:53

Excellent jubbablub grin

How long did it take?

jubbablub Fri 12-Apr-13 10:41:20

About 15 minutes. Did it once, decided that I needed to take more off and then did it again. Dead dead easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now