Talk

Advanced search

Doing dd's hair - advice for dealing with stong, squiffy crown swirl?

(8 Posts)
motherofvikings Thu 11-Apr-13 21:28:32

Dd is 2yo and has quite a lot of hair. smile

She will finally tolerate bobbles so I've started doing bunches. This is fine but she has a really strong crown swirl which is to one side of her head.
This means she always has a side parting and if I try to do a basic pony tail she ends up with odd bumps in her hair line iyswim.

How do you deal with it when doing little girl hair?
Bunches are all I can manage so far but she is due to be a bridesmaid next summer and I'm pretty sure SIL will want something different! smile

SomethingOnce Thu 11-Apr-13 23:30:37

Watching with interest as have the same thing with DD!

motherofvikings Fri 12-Apr-13 21:33:55

Anyone? smile

LizzyDay Sat 13-Apr-13 09:12:58

Bunches are hard with squirly hair. They seem to end up different sizes no matter what you do...

Loosish ponytail or plait is much easier, but of course it needs to be long enough.

Hair down with front clipped back might be a wedding option?

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sat 13-Apr-13 09:19:31

DD's hair is the same. All I would be able to suggest is working with it instead of against it, so maybe some sort of side ponytail with little French plaits involved somehow would look nice for a smart event?

FumblesandFrolics Sat 13-Apr-13 22:03:26

DD has the same issue, I think her entire head of hair would swirl around if it could as there is no obvious parting. She also has been cursed blessed with my very fine hair.

I usually just clip it back, or just do a section near the front on the 'biggest half' to keep it out of the way (after having cut into a chin length bob to stop her chewing it - ew!) but her nursery key worker seems to have the magic touch and gets it plaited, into bunches etc. Apparently her magic trick is a spray bottle of water so it stays in place whilst combing out the bumps as she is putting it up. Oh and not trying to force a perfect central parting but working with it.

DD will curse my crappy genes when older, I know.

Keep meaning to try this on her - could work for a bridesmaid, as could embellish along it?

www.girlydohairstyles.com/2011/08/ideas-for-short-hair-2.html

My DD has this too, it is much easier now her hair has grown long enough to tie back in a ponytail, but two bunches looks fine now it is fairly thick, even though the back parting is at one side a bit and one bunch is thicker than the other.

I find it helps if after washing it we comb it all back from the front and keep it that way till it dries, for special occasions tie it back in a bunch at the back while wet the day before and let it dry slowly. Having a fringe helps as that part of the hair naturally goes forward anyway, luckily it really suits my DD.

AtrociousYoni Sun 14-Apr-13 08:27:57

Dd2 has this. The only thing that worked (and trained her hair into going backwards - very thick and all grew forwards into he face!) were 2 French plaits. To start with, it wasn't long enough to go all the way down her head and were a sort of part up/part down thing, but as the front wisps got longer, the bands could move further down her head if that makes sense... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now