Talk

Advanced search

Wedding hair and make up advice - getting married in two weeks!

(12 Posts)
CleverCircusFlea Thu 11-Apr-13 19:06:44

As the title says.

I am somebody who doesn't wear make up, but i would like to have some on for my wedding day, just so I don't look like a beetroot in photographs. Would like to have a go at doing it myself, is that doable or will i cock it up?
I have found this tutorial - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr5WCnmrXW4 is it a good one? Can I do it? Are the products she's using good? If not, can you recommend some other videos? My face is quite similar to hers, that's probably why I like it.

Now onto hair. I'd like to do that myself as well. I kind of know what i want, but, again, need some ideas.
I would like to put my hair in a side bun, with not much "decorations" in, maybe a flower or something, I think I'd prefer a sleek look to a messy one, but I'm open to suggestions!

I don't ask much, do I? grin

And don't get me started on nails...

SirToffeeDoris Thu 11-Apr-13 20:41:05

Bridal make up - pixiwoo would be a good start I think

Lots of hair how tos

the bottom chignon link in that pinterest board should lead here

Lovely hair with a headband (cheaper options available I'm quite sure, I'm linking to this for the pics

Have fun grin

princessx Thu 11-Apr-13 21:16:24

I recommend going for a makeover at space nk or a dept store ASAP. It will show you how you could look, and show you lots of tips etc you might not have thought of. The makeovers are free, you could then recreate the look with make up you already own or you might end up buying one or two bits you like the look of.

I did my own make up and I used bobbi brown's book for technique guide. She prob has vids on you tube too.

Hair - I take it you're not getting a hairdresser for the big day? If you are they can recommend some things and do some practises.

You could even just get a blow dry. Are you wearing a veil or anything? That would dictate what you could do.

Good luck and congratulations!

CleverCircusFlea Thu 11-Apr-13 22:28:59

Thank you both, getting a makeover is probably a good idea, I think there is a Bobbi Brown counter in one of the local department stores, so I might just go there tomorrow. I have to say, I always feel out of place walking through make up bit of department stores...

princessx, no, I'm not getting a hairdresser for the day, it really is something i don't want to be spending much money on... Not wearing a veil, I did think about just having my hair down, but it is quite long and I don't want to end up looking like a hippie grin

KristinaM Thu 11-Apr-13 22:35:27

I woudl spend £15 on a blow dry or £25 on a hair up for my wedding before I'd spend loadsa money on bobby brown make up. Especially if you're on a budget. But that's just me.

Sorry to all her fans. I know may women love her products and if you can afford it, why not?

jamtoast12 Thu 11-Apr-13 22:49:03

I'd suggest you don't get your hair done is some of fancy up do... I always find it odd to see wedding photos of people with a hairstyle they've never had before in their life.... Doesn't often even look like them! Go for natural hair. I wore my hair down for my wedding (I never wear it up so it seemed odd o do that on my wedding day?)

As for bobby brown, I had a makeover there recently and came out like someone off that scousewives wives show! It was horrendous and their products were thick and cake like. Def do not recommend! Benefit is fab though!

CleverCircusFlea Fri 12-Apr-13 07:43:05

jam, no, you're right, I'm not gonna go for anything fancy for my hair, I normally wear a side plait, so side bun (which is what I'm planning to do), is not a million miles away and hopefully I'll still look like myself.

Thanks for the warning about bobbi brown!

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 12-Apr-13 08:45:13

I watched the video and it's a good tutorial. You could easily pick it up with a little practice.

How much of the stuff she was using do you have? I don't think you need a foundation that fancy, although it was pretty impressive!

I would not go to Bobbi Brown, unless you are looking for one or two specific things. To buy more than that is going to cost a bomb and is not an investment you need to make if you seldom wear makeup.

CleverCircusFlea Wed 17-Apr-13 08:11:42

So I went to the Benefit counter for a make up trial. Was quite pleased with the result although didn't like my eyebrows, they were VERY heavy! Bought a few bits that I thought were essential - pore minimising stuff (that was like magic!), foundation, concealer and eye shadows.

I would like to buy a blusher which is something I don't normally wear, but I did like how it looked, I can't really afford anymore Benefit prices, so could anyone recommend a good cheaper blusher?

amazinglightshow Wed 17-Apr-13 08:29:09

Hey OP, congratulations! Glad you had a good experience at Benefit. I think a little eyebrow definition is a wondrous thing but too much can be a bit scary for sure. smile

For blusher: try Bourgeois. They do really cute little blusher pots that come with their own little brush. The shades are pretty and fresh. If that's too pricey still, then any Rimmel or Collection 17 etc. blush would be just fine. A pale 'baby' pink shade can look really youthful. (IMO, things like blusher and eyeliner tend to do more or less the same job whatever you spend, whereas it's better to devote more time and ££ to getting your base right.)

For hair - I just realised you said you'd prefer a sleek look, but there are lots of lovely hair ideas here. A more 'formal' side braid could be lovely - you might need to go to the hairdresser for something like this though

mummybare Wed 17-Apr-13 08:36:57

I went to the Bobbi Brown counter for a makeup lesson before my wedding and it was great! Natural looking, great advice about how to recreate it and no pressure to buy the products. I'd definitely recommend them. It seems not everyone has such a positive experience, but there's no harm in trying it out. It is free, after all, unlike some others.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Apr-13 08:42:47

Make sure you don't have any SPF in that make up op, it reflects badly under the flash from the photographer. You end up with a face paler than the body.

My wedding day was the one day I didn't put sunscreen on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now