Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good Pilates DVD?

(13 Posts)
FabMum1 Thu 11-Apr-13 17:26:03

I've decided it's time to start being kind to my body, doing something for the mind as well as my body.

Can anyone recommend a good Pilates DVD? Want something that is going to work me and give good results

:-)

shopafrolic Thu 11-Apr-13 17:52:02

Marking my place as I've had to give up my class (lack of funds) and would like to do a DVD at home too.

threestepsforward Thu 11-Apr-13 18:01:48

Hi Fabmum and shopafrolic

I have "10 minute solutions Pilates Perfect Body" and I think it's fab!

There are 5 x 10-min sections, focusing on:
arms
tummy
bum and thighs
perfect silhouette
stretch

If you don't have much time you can pick or choose however many sections you want to do.

I particularly love the stretch part at the end as I've had lower back problems and it's really helped.

I mainly do Jillian Michaels stuff, but I always use this stretch section at the end.

Hope this helps smile

FabMum1 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:20:31

Thanks threestepsforward, I'll have a look into the 10mins solutions

Any other suggestions?

coffeeinbed Thu 11-Apr-13 21:30:56

I use something called Pilates for dummies.
Not sure just how Pilates-y is it, I like it though and it was very very cheap on Amazon.

FabMum1 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:12:04

Any others I can look at

I heard a friend mention Mari Winsors DVD, does anyone know it?

FabMum1 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:37:19

Threestepsforward - have you tried any of the other 10mins solutions DVDs?

shopafrolic Sat 13-Apr-13 11:14:27

I thought there'd have been loads of replies to this! Does no-one do Pilates at home then? I am shamelessly bumping again for the Saturday crowd.
Is this the 10 minute one threesteps?
www.amazon.co.uk/10-Minute-Solution-Pilates-Beginners/dp/B003QLEAQU/ref=sr_1_21?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1365847973&sr=1-21&keywords=pilates+DVD

threestepsforward Sat 13-Apr-13 14:59:34

Shopafrolic it's this one (tries really hard to do a link)...

www.amazon.co.uk/10-Minute-Solution-Pilates-Perfect/dp/B001J1O85C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1365861287&sr=1-1&keywords=pilates+10+perfect (only £4.42 with free delivery on Amazon!)

I really enjoy it. I don't know any others and I haven't tried any other of the 10 min solutions, but I expect they're all very different as they are done by different people?

The one I've linked is typically a bit American cheesy but you will feel like you've had a workout (esp the arms!).

One thing though - I've never done pilates in its truest form, so I don't know how comparable to actual pilates it is!

Hope this helps smile

threestepsforward Sat 13-Apr-13 15:00:24

Yay, it worked!

Shop you could try posting in 'slim' or 'sports', you may get more replies...

threestepsforward Sat 13-Apr-13 15:03:55

(just had a quick peek at the reviews on amazon and they're mainly very good - veterans and newbies)

shopafrolic Sun 14-Apr-13 08:55:02

Thanks for that threesteps will take a look. Good linking smile

Ogooglebar Sun 14-Apr-13 10:22:35

I have Brooke Siler's Pilates Body Kit and use it all the time. It's a CD (plus instruction cards with pictures of the movements and a book) which makes it feel more like doing a proper class than a DVD, because you don't have the distraction of the screen, you just listen to her like she's an instructor in the room. There are several sections on the CD which you work your way through while you're learning the moves, then at the end there's a 20 minute session that you can do regularly once you know what you're doing.

Darcey Bussell's Pilates DVD is good too but it's so flipping long I hardly ever do it. She's very inspiring though!

But I'm all about Jillian Michael's Shred atm grin Who cares about the mind, I'm getting actual real abs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now