Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone with dry skin help me out?

(4 Posts)
awkwardsis Thu 11-Apr-13 13:05:47

I'm trying to get my sister into a decent routine with skin care. She is only 19 and currently uses absolutely nothing at all make up or ski care wise. I briefly made her up with a bit of my own stuff but tbh I am dark, she is fair, I have normal to oily skin and hers is very dry. It's complicated that she is quite hirsute (I'm making her see a doctor in case of any underlying issues) so I don't know where to start. I think she needs a really decent moisturiser at the very least, and perhaps a good concealer and tinted moisturiser with a bit of a shine to it? I use a cream blusher but when I used it on her it looked a bit clown like, perhaps she needs something much lighter or reflective to combat the dryness? Any kind of advice would be appreciated as I'm hoping to take her shopping for supplies at the weekend

dreamingbohemian Thu 11-Apr-13 13:12:47

I would focus on the skin care and not worry about the makeup. If she's not interested, why should she have to wear any? Also, it is indeed harder to wear makeup with very dry skin, so perhaps wait to see if that improves anyway.

I would get her a good cleanser, moisturiser and lip balm and then see how it goes from there.

I would look for a soap-free cleanser like Cetaphil, but it can be hard to find. Body Shop have a nice range of Vitamin E skin products that might work.

awkwardsis Thu 11-Apr-13 13:17:32

Dreaming, I'm not some kind of raging misogynist forcing make up onto her. She has a lot of confidence issues and she agrees that a touch of makeup will help. Especially as she's about to start her teaching placement. I hadn't thought of the body shop actually, I have horribly dry hands and their hemp tube is the only thing that works so ill take a look. Actually, their make up might be a good bet too. I've been using a soap and glory cleanser since Christmas that I really love but I don't know if it'd work for her so I might give her some to try.

dreamingbohemian Thu 11-Apr-13 17:10:55

I didn't think you were forcing her, just thinking that going from nothing at all to skin care + makeup is a big leap, and she shouldn't worry about it if she's not interested. But as she is, I would still start slowly, maybe just tinted moisturiser and mascara. Eyeshadow and blush are tricky with really dry skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now