Talk

Advanced search

How to look good in glasses

(10 Posts)
ScienceRocks Thu 11-Apr-13 09:52:40

For reasons I won't bore you with, I am having to wear glasses at the moment. The main problem i have is that my eyes are my best feature, and I usually play them up with eyeliner and mascara when I am wearing my contact lenses. I am horrifically short sighted so my glasses make my eyes look tiny and draw attention to the rest of my face, which is definitely a bad thing.

I know lots of people look great in glasses, so if anyone has any tips they could pass on that might help me look less awful, I'd be very grateful.

inneedofrain Thu 11-Apr-13 10:05:21

Ok, I love my glasses!

Starts with a good shape of frame for your face everyone is suited by different styles.

OK, mine are quite small but I still do full eye make up.

I find that a cut crease but smokie works best for me (but I like to LOOK like I am wearing eye make up)

a Cut crease is done by adding a real definate line of eye shadow in or just above your crease and them blending up (you tube it for a proper explanation) I find with where my glasses sit I need to take my blending / smoke up higher on towards my brow bone that I would with contacts in! I also cut the crease just above my natural crease line so my lid looks bigger and the cut crease can acutally be seen! Smoke the corner of my eye in the C shape from the last line up the cut crease

Ok, brows brows and more brows, I make mine a bit more defined that I would with contacts in and that helps draw attention to my eyes and neaten the look up.

I can´t do liquid eye liner (so please tell me how!)

Ok, so I go for a powdered eye liner on the with a thinker liner on from the middle to the outer corner on the top

Then I BLEND the colour under my lower lashes.

I tight line my upper lashes which makes them stand out.

Curl my lashes, and then a good mascara I use a lash primer and then a mascara on the top of that rather than multiple coats of mascara

I have also been know in the evening to use falsh lashes etc with my glasses.

Now this is what I DO, and is certainly worth a try for you, but if its also worth googling / youtubing for your glass shape

HTH

inneedofrain Thu 11-Apr-13 10:07:03

Oh if you are really stuck it might also be worth going to a MAC counter with your glasses on and getting your make up done. ALL The of the mac staff are fully qualified make up artists so they will now all of the tricks and will help you find a look that works for you.

ScienceRocks Thu 11-Apr-13 11:07:05

Thank you inneedofrain, that's all brilliant.

Liquid liner? A steady hand is all that is needed. Oh, and cotton buds to clean any splodges blend grin

phinz Thu 11-Apr-13 11:21:52

Which lenses do you have in your glasses? I have the anti-reflection ones and they are great as it means other people can see your eyes not just a reflection. If you have a strong prescription like me I think the thin and light lenses are worth the money as it also causes less distortion.

polyhymnia Thu 11-Apr-13 11:23:51

Think the advice you've already had is great. As someone who alternates between glasses and contacts, think the defined brows tip particularly good - I have mine tinted.

If you are buying new glasses, the answer is, alas, not a cheap one. The more you pay, the thinner lenses you can get- I'm naturally very short sighted, but (at a price) my lenses aren't at all 'bottle-top'. Also choice of frame, with the help of a good optician, makes a huge difference to how stylish the end effect is, as I'm sure you already know.

ScienceRocks Thu 11-Apr-13 11:56:43

I have the thinnest lenses possible in my glasses, but with a prescription of -18, they are never going to look great grinsad

The brows tip is a great one, thanks for that. Seems really obvious, but I hadn't thought of it before.

sergeantmajor Thu 11-Apr-13 12:45:57

Laser eye-sight correction is the best thing that I ever did

ScienceRocks Thu 11-Apr-13 13:12:20

I hear you, sergeant, and my DH has had it done but unfortunately my correction (and astigmatism) is too high for laser surgery sad

inneedofrain Thu 11-Apr-13 15:25:28

Pleased to be of help.

Heres a couple of youtube videos that explain a couple of different techiques for glasses, and the different effects of glasses for different prescriptions etc, I found they gave me a good "start" for getting into eyeshadow for glasses, from there once I had a couple of go two looks I just kept playing untill I found "my look" to be honest I now struggle with getting a look I like with my contacts in!

One
gives different idea based on the type of prescription

Hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now